User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE8, and .exe and .htas

Hi
    I just downloaded the IE tester from http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage to test my site in various IE versions (I really like it. Thanks Paul for the link.)
    I've tried to download .exe files and an .hta using the tester IE8 and the screen flickers but nothing displays -- not what I expect. Setting the tester to versions 6 and 5.5 I get the .exes dialog box I expect. And using IE7 is just fine as well.
    I'm thinking what's happening might just be the tester's limitation at this point or I need to change the way I try to get the .exe and .htas.
    The site is http://realfast.com. On the right hand side click on the "XP and Earlier" dropdown to get the .exes and click on "Login in to Realfast2Go" to get the .hta.
    I don't want to download IE8 having heard that it is not well behaved and is difficult to remove.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can only use IE Tester for testing the appearance of the page. To test web page behaviour you need to be running completely separate versions of IE on separate operating systems.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the answer. So you're saying that it works on my machine for IE7 is because I've got that browser on my computer, right?
    Did anyone else out there who has IE8 click on either of the two items below and see if all that happened was a pause and then nothing to acknowledge in the .exe or .hta? (I'm not saying to download them, but just see if the process works to get the security dialog box.)
    thank you