User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help - small project, simple PHP

Hi all,

let me preface this by saying i have never written a php code in my life, but i do have minimal experience with javascript so programming isn't completely foreign for me.

Im using Dreamweaver CS3 and i want a code that does the following:

I have 2 text boxes, one called 'name', the other 'link', when I input both these values in i want 'name' to appear on my page and it to be hyperlinked to 'link'.

I also want the date they were added to appear next to them.

And if possible, i would like them to only stay on my page for X number of days.

I know this is probably very simple, so if someone could point me to an easy tutorial or a simple way to do it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You'll need a database as well (MySQL) to store the links.
    Why don't you do a google search. 'simple php mysql' for example gives lots of results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Because you've known javascript, I think you're familiar with html, so creating web pages and forms is not a problem for you. The steps you need to do for your requirements above is something like:
    1-Create an HTML form with 2 text boxes: name and link. The "action" attribute of the form points to your PHP script. (You've already known how to do this)
    2-In your PHP file, you need to extract value from form fields and store it somewhere (for example, in a database table). To do this, you need to learn how to get form field values in PHP, how to store data in a database or a file (to store data in a database, you may need to learn SQL too). When storing your data, remember to store the current time.
    3-On another PHP file, you need to extract data from your storage location (name, link, date). If you know how to do step 2 above, I think you know enough for this step too. Remember to delete records that is older than X days. With needed data, what you need to do now is just show them. Your HTML knowledge will help.

Hope that helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

I have been trying to get my head around this all day, and i think creating the database will be my biggest problem. I'll do some googling tomorrow (its night here) as guido suggested to try and figure out the database bit