SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSD to HTML services?

Have any of you ever used one of those PSD to HTML type services? I see tons of them on the web nowadays, but I was curious what your experience was like.

If possible, mention what the PROs and CONs were of using the services. Were you happy with the output of code quality? How fast are they really?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but I have looked at many of these so-called services and I have to say they are as bad as using Image Ready to 'slice and dice' you sites .. the ONLY purpose of a PSD is to show the customer what the site will look like. Everything else should be well written, semantic mark up, functional code.

Just my opinion though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Sorry but I have looked at many of these so-called services and I have to say they are as bad as using Image Ready to 'slice and dice' you sites .. the ONLY purpose of a PSD is to show the customer what the site will look like. Everything else should be well written, semantic mark up, functional code.

Just my opinion though
    Thanks. Yea, that was a concern of mine...though when I see a site like www.psd2html.com, which seems to be the mammoth on the web for this type of thing, they seem alright.

Reason I am asking is because I am starting up my own similar service, but in which all the code will be custom written, optimized, etc... but I was curious what people who have used these services thought, had reservations, etc...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also highly doubt about the performance of what they gonna produce!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    Reason I am asking is because I am starting up my own similar service, but in which all the code will be custom written, optimized, etc... but I was curious what people who have used these services thought, had reservations, etc...
    It's not a bad idea, if I were only a designer I would consider that as an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, not a bad idea. Coding a ready made psds is easier to work on for most web designers who are not much inclined to graphics. However, the downside is that, there are clients that are hard to work with. If you mess their so called arts and design then expect a rant from them! lol

Motivated Procrastinator seriocomic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I (as in we, the web-agency I used to work for) have used these services in the past and have been very much impressed (even myself as a front-end developer).

When you consider the speed vs cost of doing it in-house, it can be a great resource.

There's a good matrix site to measure the good from the bad:
    http://www.mostsliced.com/slicers

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest with this. I would not use one of those services...Not trying to promote myself, as we are a web development company and PSD-XHTML is one of our services, but I would be hesitant of using one of them.

If it was me personally, I would find a true web development company, look on this forum and you will find a-lot of nice and professional companies here that are just as cheap and offer the same if not better quality and protection of your money.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSD TO HTML, Does according to the W3C standard. used <div> tech.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I have used PSD to HTML services. Many people are providing it.