SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should legal citizens be allowed to own guns?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, all guns are evil!

4 12.12%
  • Only government agencies should own guns!

6 18.18%
  • With strict regulation people can own guns

8 24.24%
  • Doesn't really matter to me

1 3.03%
  • Everyone that is NOT A CRIMINAL should own a gun

14 42.42%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    I think that this discussion is going to be separated into two types of people.

1) Americans
    2) Non-Americans

Like arkinstall, a fellow Brit, I don't believe that guns should be available to every one for private use on their own property. I don't mind the idea of someone being able to use a gun on property that is designated for people to use firearms though (a firing range) as long as guns are kept in and not out.

I live on the outskirts of Bristol, near a couple of farms. When I was younger my Dad took me to see one of his friends that owns a Farm (didn't run it) and I met the guys son, who decided to go into the Farmers shed and pull out a rifle and play around with it. I don't know if it was loaded, but he felt it necessary to point it at his own brother, then at me (which he received a busted nose for). To cut a long story short, the kid eventually got busted for shooting an animal on the farm a year or two later.

In many ways I don't believe that prohibition is the right thing to do, and that in a perfect world we could give people guns and no one would use them. Sadly, we don't live in an ideal society and regardless of the rules people will get hold of guns and they will kill. I believe they should be outlawed because I believe there would be more 'accidents' and woundings if they were legal than not.

In short, I don't believe guns should be freely available to the public, but I can understand a persons right to bear arms and how it shouldn't be a government matter.
    I'm a Australian and I agree, we have many of the same laws that the UK have (our police are armed though).
    We just aren't raised as children on the concept that to defend yourself in such a manner is needed so the idea never occurs to you.
    I work with allot of ex-pat Americans and from them I can see that the whole culture on that point is very different.
    Catherine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2good4u View Post
    EXCUSE ME Codythebest! But the sex offender, the rapist is not interested in a good **** but to degrade, demoralize, control, destroy someone not just physically but pschologically! What they want is power and control over another human being! Not the type of person interested in "paying for it" -- that would reduce their POWER!
    Oh yes, no question. What I wanted to say is prostitution will take a certain amount of people who would rape otherwise, who would cross the line. It decreases the number, it does not annihilate it.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codythebest View Post
    Oh yes, no question. What I wanted to say is prostitution will take a certain amount of people who would rape otherwise, who would cross the line. It decreases the number, it does not annihilate it.
    Sorry but that's 100% crap .. 'sex offenders' get their 'jollies' from control and paying a hooker doesn't satisfy that perversion.

Let's not even get into to 'those' people shall we? We are talking a class of 'humans' that don't even deserve to live and any discussion of them is bound to get UGLY.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Sorry but that's 100% crap .. 'sex offenders' get their 'jollies' from control and paying a hooker doesn't satisfy that perversion.

Let's not even get into to 'those' people shall we? We are talking a class of 'humans' that don't even deserve to live and any discussion of them is bound to get UGLY.
    I agree with you completely dc dalton. Legalizing prostitution would have no effect on the actions of sex offenders. They MUST have the control and fear factors to perform. And its not like you can 'recognize' the offenders. They look just like the guy who took you out for dinner and a movie...he can actually be one unfortunately...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting discussion. most of it to be expected.

I would have never taken Datura as a gun owner, not in a million years.

I'm a gun owner as well. I'd prolly be a gun-nut if it wasn't kept in check by my bank account and wife. I'm more into antique and historic weapons. I have a Civil War era musket reproduction as well as a WWII era British Enfield, those would be my favorites. I like to hunt, don't have a conceal carry license (nor do I plan to get one). I also like to go to the range and put some lead down field.

So, as was asked, I just like guns. No other reason.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbolte View Post
    I would have never taken Datura as a gun owner, not in a million years.
    Well, that just shows how wrong an impression can be I am such a strong advocate for individual rights, that I would do a lot of things to defend against people who want to take them away from me.

PS. Greetings to you Bill, have not seen you in a while
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Well, that just shows how wrong an impression can be I am such a strong advocate for individual rights, that I would do a lot of things to defend against people who want to take them away from me.

PS. Greetings to you Bill, have not seen you in a while
    I don't hang out in General Chat much, prolly why I didn't know that about you. And it's been extremely busy. But greetings back at you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer to get a gun, because sometimes situations require help, and gun could give it to you, when no one is to help you. Self protection.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    No, only tactical response units or special units at events. You average bobby has a small extendable truncheon and pepper spray......
    That's actually a pretty good idea. When the police arrive anywhere, it's usually just to keep the peace and any violence has already occured. If something more serious is going on, they always call in SWAT anyway. I'm sure there are exceptions but....

dc dalton,
    My son has started his gun collection and has quite a few but yours is pretty impressive. He's a big time hunter (and also going into law enforcement).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    dc dalton,
    My son has started his gun collection and has quite a few but yours is pretty impressive. He's a big time hunter (and also going into law enforcement).
    that's only part of it and we add to it as often as money permits

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomas Jefferson warned that if we went the way of industrialization over a rural agriculturally based society there would have to be Constitutional and Bill of Rights amendments to account for a morally decadent society. I support the right to own weapons but I do not support the simple CHL criteria, open carry or certain weapons available in mainstream retail. There was no "vote" in the poll that covered my position.
    We're completely full of it

www.lakepirateforums.com

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just showed my son your pictures, dc. He has one of those AKs and one of the Glocks. You two would bond well together. Personally, I think they're pretty. Otherwise, I just don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    I just showed my son your pictures, dc. He has one of those AKs and one of the Glocks. You two would bond well together. Personally, I think they're pretty. Otherwise, I just don't care.
    Well here's a few more he can enjoy:

1st my newly started collection of "Cowboy Guns"

The shotgun is a replica of a Winchester 12 gauge, basically the same one you might have seen in Terminator (his was cut down). The originals are so stinking expensive it's not funny! These were made to the exact specs of the originals at the Norinco factory in China and are getting real hard to find.. that one's never been fired.

The six-shooter on the right is a Ruger 'Single Six', slightly used but in perfect shape. and the pistol on the left is an Italian made replica of an 1851 Navy Colt (black powder) .. that one's not been fired either.

Then there's the 'back wall' of the pics I put up before:

From left to right:

Old beat up 22, my 'hunting gun' a 1976 Winchester model 94, a 1930 Russsian Mosin Nagant (was their battle weapon for years), a 1944 Russian M44, a Marlin 30/30 (now been sold), and the 'street sweeper' 12 gauge short barrel shotgun.

I know there's a few more hiding around here some place but damned if I can remember what.

So yes, call me a gun nut but probably 1/2 of them are collectibles and should appreciate over the next few years. As soon as the Dems reinstate the 'assault weapon ban' the AKs, the 1965 Chinese SKS (on floor above the AK on the left) and the M92 should at least double in value. Some are carry weapons and some are hunting weapons (even though I haven't had the time to hunt in years)

As my one friend says, never enough guns!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow dc, you can win a whole big war with those I love the Ruger 'Single Six', A very attractive design. There is a real beauty to the shapes of guns. The design itself grew from its use, there is nothing artificial about it. Direct and honest.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Wow dc, you can win a whole big war with those I love the Ruger 'Single Six', A very attractive design. There is a real beauty to the shapes of guns. The design itself grew from its use, there is nothing artificial about it. Direct and honest.
    Well maybe not a war but I can put up one heck of a battle!

There is something very artistic in many of the guns out there. I love the old 'Cowboy guns' myself, the history, the evolution of them .. so much to appreciate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed. Of course I love the old cowboy tales and novels, so the guns are an integral part of them. And like all machinery from that time, there was much care taken in embellishing the tools and creating wonderful pieces. The tooled leather that went along with that as well. We look at all these things in a rather romanticized way today, but how these man were really helpless without their guns. How hard it all must have been.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion in this is gun should be banned and not even low level cops (the one who catches you while speeding). I'd say you have to be at least FBI level or higher to own a gun.

Perhaps you should think about why 2nd amendment was made. IT'S BECAUSE OTHER FOOLS OUT THERE ALSO OWNS GUNS!!!! Therefore, I should also own a gun defend from those idiots. Which make sense. If you own a gun, I like to own a gun just in case. This is perfectly logical reason. So, for me no one owns a gun and I won't own a gun. Sure, people can get guns illegally but I believe there will be lesser guns and lesser accidental death. Example, let say you are a responsible gun collector but some kids robbed your place. Then, used your gun to rob and/or kill people. Yes, it's not your fault for that murder but at the end, it was YOUR gun. I can understand for Gun lovers but I would gladly sacrifice it even if it means to save 1 less accidental death.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were mentioning about banning knife. If anyone is serious, then they can kill a person w/ a pencil. But, whenever I hear random gun shots just happened to hit a child in someone's house is... unforgivable. So, you're saying this can happen by someone who can throw a knife 100 ft that would go through the window and kill a person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Perhaps you should think about why 2nd amendment was made. IT'S BECAUSE OTHER FOOLS OUT THERE ALSO OWNS GUNS!!!!
    No sir you are VERY much mistaken there, The 2nd amendment was created for two purposes:

1. To make sure the states maintained a 'well regulated' militia

2. To make sure individual citizens had the right to own arms to protect THEMSELVES from a tyrannical government, whether it be their own or another.

You really should take the time to actually read and learn your history. Read the writings of Thomas Jefferson .. your eyes would be opened and then some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were mentioning about banning knife. If anyone is serious, then they can kill a person w/ a pencil. But, whenever I hear random gun shots just happened to hit a child in someone's house is... unforgivable. So, you're saying this can happen by someone who can throw a knife 100 ft that would go through the window and kill a person?
    Once again you are confusing ILLEGAL gun owners (aka criminals) and LEGAL gun owners! It has been said over and over here that taking guns away from LEGAL law abiding owners will in fact do NOTHING to stop these criminals. Just like they buy ILLEGAL drugs (even though the law prohibits it) they too will find and buy ILLEGAL weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion in this is gun should be banned and not even low level cops (the one who catches you while speeding). I'd say you have to be at least FBI level or higher to own a gun.
    So you would have our police forces unarmed even though the criminals will find weapons no matter what? WOW you really do want the criminals to take over don't you?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice if we could protect our families with boomarangs and rocks but it's not feasible. I agree with control just not dissolution. The days of the militia are long gone. We have national Guard, police, FBI and a plethora of other governemnt agencies being our militia. No one is going to overthrow the government so those days are gone too. If you aimed your weapon toward a government official you'd be dead quicker than Mama Cass at a free buffet. The real reasons to own guns legitimately in this day and age are hunting and protection. I have to call a spade a spade. NRA soldiers always cling to the second amendment but that is no longer the case. I also don't buy into that "they'll only pry it from my cold dead hands" bravado. If the cops show up at your house to take your guns they're gonna get them and the only thing in your clammy hands is gonna be your urine.

I'm not totally against owning guns. I just think there's middle ground. One side wants grenade launchers and missiles that shoot off the top of their Jeep. The other side wants them completely wiped out so only the black market has them. I can't agree with either side.
    We're completely full of it

www.lakepirateforums.com

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Pirate View Post
    ... you'd be dead quicker than Mama Cass at a free buffet.
    that's horribly insensitive

but pretty funny

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay now you guys are scaring me..........but this is a very American focused thread most people here how own that many guns are considered criminal....and there you are the idea of guns just isn't apart of the culture I can't invisage anytime I would take up a gun even in defense, from my point of view better dead then go that far.

Again, from your point of view I'd think that you guys would find that statement silly or even ridiculous the idea that someone sees gun as anything else but a tool or a hobby.

I realise in the US gun ownership is and always has been a hot topic. I can understand way you take the 2nd so much to heart and not just as a piece of historical side effect.

But sorry guys no matter which I look at it I still can't see why anyone would ever need a hand gun or semi-automatics and I'm proud to live in a country where both are banned.
    Catherine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozone88 View Post
    I can't invisage anytime I would take up a gun even in defense, from my point of view better dead then go that far.
    WOW, that is one SCARY statement! You would allow yourself to be killed before you would defend yourself? Man I CAN NOT get my head wrapped around that one!