SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should legal citizens be allowed to own guns?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, all guns are evil!

4 12.12%
  • Only government agencies should own guns!

6 18.18%
  • With strict regulation people can own guns

8 24.24%
  • Doesn't really matter to me

1 3.03%
  • Everyone that is NOT A CRIMINAL should own a gun

14 42.42%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bals28mjk View Post
    Assuming he was a rational bum, not a thug bum, I think he would understand why you darted him.
    Hahaha - there is no such thing as a rational bum.
    I would also encourage criminals to rob with the tranquility guns.
    That is pretty insane. But then most dictators are
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    That is pretty insane. But then most dictators are
    Now Now, let's not poo poo his dream worlds now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, we should not. I do not want to spoil this thread. I think we have pretty much explored the issue. I would have liked to see more people from different countries participate in your thread dc. But most people that live in the rest of the world can not imagine what the ownership of a defense weapon really means.

Too often the issue of force is kept on the side of initiated force, thereby ignoring retaliatory force. Those two concepts seem the same to many.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But most people that live in the rest of the world can not imagine what the ownership of a defense weapon really means.
    There are different violences as well I think
    Having lived in Belgium and in Spain, to give an example, I have never seen or had the knownledge of "home invasion".
    It seems that this is a very rare (if any) kind of violences...
    I have only knowledge of these since I'm in Tennessee. Of course, I can't be everywhere all the time also.
    Other countries, other mentalities I guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I think guns are an integral part of living in the US. These are strange days indeed. Keep your beans and bullets and keep on coding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codythebest View Post
    There are different violences as well I think
    Having lived in Belgium and in Spain, to give an example, I have never seen or had the knownledge of "home invasion".
    It seems that this is a very rare (if any) kind of violences...
    I have only knowledge of these since I'm in Tennessee. Of course, I can't be everywhere all the time also.
    Other countries, other mentalities I guess...
    Yes, different cultures have different crimes. In counties where you have a relative large amount of freedom you will also have more violence at the current time. Home invasions are a frequent event here in the US. But that also is inextricably tied to laws, like prohibition of drug use that drives up prices and users need that money to feed their habit. In an ideal situation with only rational people there would be no violence of this kind and little of any other kind.

In countries where tight controls are implemented, crime is much lower, but so is personal freedom. I could not tolerate it. I rather take the potential violence than have all my actions controlled and dictated.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that also is inextricably tied to laws, like prohibition of drug use that drives up prices and users need that money to feed their habit. In an ideal situation with only rational people there would be no violence of this kind and little of any other kind.
    Damn we do think alike! I have been saying for years they should legalize drugs and prostitution. Both could be controlled, taxed and made 'safer' ... just legalizing them would probably cut crime 50% overnight and allow the police more time and resources to handle other crimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Damn we do think alike! I have been saying for years they should legalize drugs and prostitution. Both could be controlled, taxed and made 'safer' ... just legalizing them would probably cut crime 50% overnight and allow the police more time and resources to handle other crimes.
    Of course they should be legal. See the use of gun violence drop drastically. I would say that the savings for the tax payers would be huge. 90% of the inmates would not be inmates and cost of all court procedures would drop with that as well. Maybe people will wise up eventually, hopefully.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course they should be legal. See the use of gun violence drop drastically. I would say that the savings for the tax payers would be huge. 90% of the inmates would not be inmates and cost of all court procedures would drop with that as well. Maybe people will wise up eventually, hopefully.
    Add together the amount spent by local, state and federal governments in their 'war on drugs' alone! Bet you a WHOLE LOT of deficits would shrink.

With prostitution you could get them health care, benefits, constantly screening and again get the cops doing something better with their time.

Sucks being a Libertarian in America these days, doesn't it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add together the amount spent by local, state and federal governments in their 'war on drugs' alone! Bet you a WHOLE LOT of deficits would shrink.

With prostitution you could get them health care, benefits, constantly screening and again get the cops doing something better with their time.

Sucks being a Libertarian in America these days, doesn't it?
    Haha, sure does. I am not a Libertarien by the way. I am a full out Laissez-Faire Capitalist. A step further than libertarianism. The moral justification for it being rational selfishness I am a Randian (student of Objectivism)
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, sure does. I am not a Libertarien by the way. I am a full out Laissez-Faire Capitalist. A step further than libertarianism. The moral justification for it being rational selfishness I am a Randian (student of Objectivism)
    Well to be honest I am being pushed in that same direction more and more each day.... hell of a change from this once DIE HARD liberal, less than 5 years ago I might ad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legalizing drugs like heroine, cocaine etc. is a really really bad idea. Make those drugs accessible to anyone and everyone, then see what happens. Zombies, lots and lots of zombies. Grab your baseball bat or gun, odds are you'll be attacked at least once that day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, different cultures have different crimes. In counties where you have a relative large amount of freedom you will also have more violence at the current time. Home invasions are a frequent event here in the US. But that also is inextricably tied to laws, like prohibition of drug use that drives up prices and users need that money to feed their habit. In an ideal situation with only rational people there would be no violence of this kind and little of any other kind.

In countries where tight controls are implemented, crime is much lower, but so is personal freedom. I could not tolerate it. I rather take the potential violence than have all my actions controlled and dictated.
    To feed their habit, they do not invade homes. They attack little old women and steal their money from their purses. It's where guns should be: little old ladies' purses

The Netherlands were the first to liberate drugs and have reduce by 75% all crimes in relation with drugs. I also believe that allowing prostitution will reduce the number of sex offender. Why woild you rape the girl since you can do so (maybe not raping but at least have a good ****) for 20 bucks down the street?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legalizing drugs like heroine, cocaine etc. is a really really bad idea. Make those drugs accessible to anyone and everyone, then see what happens. Zombies, lots and lots of zombies. Grab your baseball bat or gun, odds are you'll be attacked at least once that day.
    Neah...Cocaine and heroin should be free of charge and distributed freely to anyone who want it. It just should be mixed with a little bit of cyanure...
    That will eliminate a LOTS of problem on the short term...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to be honest I am being pushed in that same direction more and more each day.... hell of a change from this once DIE HARD liberal, less than 5 years ago I might ad.
    People who are liberals, in many ways, are the best candidates for Lassez-Faire. They are fundamentally for personal rights without restrictions. They only lack the ethical aspect of financial freedom. The other side still wants to control all behavior and on top of that has left (and turned left ) the capitalist side of it. To sum it up: The left wants to control property, the right wants to control your mind and body.

There really is no other way to go if you want to claim your freedom back. The Libertarians are a good step in between.
    Ulrike

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Damn we do think alike!
    Back off, dude!... She's mine!

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

Heh, she's too tall for you!

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure about that ?

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, she's too tall for you!
    Are you sure about that ?
    That is just too funny
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have anything to back up that claim? Have all of us become alcoholics because we all have access? Do we all smoke because we have access? Do we all behave rudely because we could? Do we all shoot people left and right because we have access to guns?

This statement of yours is a typical fear monger statement, a threat really. Empty too.

When things are legalized the lure vanishes to a great extent. That has been proven over and over. Limit something and people want it.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To feed their habit, they do not invade homes. They attack little old women and steal their money from their purses. It's where guns should be: little old ladies' purses
    Right
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have anything to back up that claim? Have all of us become alcoholics because we all have access? Do we all smoke because we have access? Do we all behave rudely because we could? Do we all shoot people left and right because we have access to guns?

This statement of yours is a typical fear monger statement, a threat really. Empty too.

When things are legalized the lure vanishes to a great extent. That has been proven over and over. Limit something and people want it.
    A good amount of people are smokers. Can you agree with that? Not that a lot of people don't want to quit, it's because it's really hard for them. Cocaine and heroin are known for being addictive substances, more so than nicotine. Not everyone will try it when it's readily available, but more will.

I really hate people putting restrictions on my freedoms, I think the decisions that I make in my life should be mine, no one elses. If I want to own a gun, I should be able to own a gun, if I want to buy a house, I should be able to buy a house, If I want to shoot heroin, I should be able to shoot heroin.

I love people and all, but a lot are irresponsible. It's how credit card companies, banks etc. can exit and why government is a good thing. I kind of look at it more like leaving a lighter on the table for your 5 year old, the whole wanting what is rare.

My freedoms can be sacrificed if it's better for the group or society as a whole.

I understand and see your points about what you say, but disagree with that point of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead)
    Ha, I thought this was funny too, in case your curious dc dalton or Shaun(OfTheDead) the whole 6ft red head deal isn't really my thing, I'm more interested dark and curly. I could just see it now, both of you fighting while Datura pretending to be upset about it, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    There are three reasons for wanting a firearm - Attack, Defense and Sport.

Sport - well, the firearms should be restricted and not allowed off property.

Defense - Fighting fire with fire? Barbaric if you ask me.

The main reason for kids carrying knifes these days is defense - and that leads to teenage stabbing records being set year after year - which leads to more kids fearing for their lives so carrying knifes.
    this is common sense if you're asking me...I hate violence and it's frightening to see so many people dead in accidental or not shootings...
    ... and I couldn't imagine myself hanging on the wall guns and knives

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My freedoms can be sacrificed if it's better for the group or society as a whole.

I understand and see your points about what you say, but disagree with that point of you.
    Yes, I know that that is the difference we are having. It is our basic view how we see our lives. You see it as being part of the greater we, I see it as being an individual amongst other individuals.

You yield, your standard is harmony within a group and are willing to sacrifice your personal freedom for the sake of the group. I do not yield, for me the highest standard is the individual, I, I do not sacrifice willingly, I just happen to live with other individuals.

The definition for sacrifice: Giving up a higher value for a lower value.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Netherlands were the first to liberate drugs and have reduce by 75% all crimes in relation with drugs. I also believe that allowing prostitution will reduce the number of sex offender. Why woild you rape the girl since you can do so (maybe not raping but at least have a good ****) for 20 bucks down the street?
    EXCUSE ME Codythebest! But the sex offender, the rapist is not interested in a good **** but to degrade, demoralize, control, destroy someone not just physically but pschologically! What they want is power and control over another human being! Not the type of person interested in "paying for it" -- that would reduce their POWER!

Guns, I have to agree with you. Having had my home broken into, folks told me to "go get a gun". Didn't and won't. I did however get alarm system that we USE and I keep my dogs around me when home alone. They helped me before, they WILL do it again! ;-)