SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should legal citizens be allowed to own guns?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, all guns are evil!

4 12.12%
  • Only government agencies should own guns!

6 18.18%
  • With strict regulation people can own guns

8 24.24%
  • Doesn't really matter to me

1 3.03%
  • Everyone that is NOT A CRIMINAL should own a gun

14 42.42%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Question For All - How do you feel about Guns?

Not trying to be political here, not at all but over the past 2 years I have become VERY involved in the US 2nd amendment rights, namely the right to bear arms (for those of you that don't know that means 'own guns')

Now even more so I live in Pennsylvania and our state constitution states:

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
    Now I know there are a lot of non-US people here and some member countries MAY have banned ownership a long time ago. This really has nothing to do with that. I am curious though how many people here think people that owning guns (of any form) are a 'problem to society' ... not talking criminals, I am talking honest, law abiding citizens.

Be curious how 'geeks' feel about guns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charelton Heston is my only president! NRA 4 life!!!
    But seriously, I feel pretty strongly about our right to bear arms and I think this right should be protected at all costs.
    Matter of fact, just bought myself a Bushmaster AR-15 but I haven't had time to go to the range yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BransonPro View Post
    Charelton Heston is my only president! NRA 4 life!!!
    But seriously, I feel pretty strongly about our right to bear arms and I think this right should be protected at all costs.
    Matter of fact, just bought myself a Bushmaster AR-15 but I haven't had time to go to the range yet.
    Wow! Nice to see some of the 2A supporters here! Kudos to you sir! While I'm not an AR type (sorry a MAJOR lover of AKs) I'm still with you!

If I listed all the weapons I own people might think I'm nuts (then again ...) Leave it to say both myself and my wife carry a weapon every time we walk out the door of our house (yes legally)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome. I also have a 7.62 MM SKS. But I do prefer the .223 - I like the "tumbling" action the round produces during trajectory .
    I wuold like to get my hands on a genuine Klashnikov but i haven't found one here in my area - yet.
    I wish I could get a Colt .223. i'm a big fan of Colt! I own a Python.
    Have you ever heard of a Belgium-made Browning? They are rare here in the USA but I have a 12-gauge semi that is absolutely awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome. I also have a 7.62 MM SKS. But I do prefer the .223 - I like the "tumbling" action the round produces during trajectory .
    I wuold like to get my hands on a genuine Klashnikov but i haven't found one here in my area - yet.
    I wish I could get a Colt .223. i'm a big fan of Colt! I own a Python.
    Have you ever heard of a Belgium-made Browning? They are rare here in the USA but I have a 12-gauge semi that is absolutely awesome!
    Well I was in the Army and I have to say I HATED my M-16, absolutely hated it .. this might be why I tend to lean to the 'soviet block' weapons. While my M-16 freaked out at the first sign of dirt my AKs eat the dirt AND the ammo I feed them and keep on smiling.

Here's a few of 'the girls':

and my newest 'sweetheart', my Yugoslavian M92 Krinkov (along side one of my Yugo AKs):

Have to tell you that M92 is a BLAST to shoot!

BTW, that SKS in the top pic is a 1965 Chinese SKS .. pre ban with a "experimental" 10 round mag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh WOW!!! Those are nice, DC! I love the rare ones.
    Awesome collection.
    thisis off-subject but when you did: articlesitemanager.net , was it for yourself or a client? How does it work exactly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thisis off-subject but when you did: articlesitemanager.net , was it for yourself or a client? How does it work exactly?
    Nope not for a client, just bored one day and I decided to 'build something' ... yeah I'm that nuts. I'm 50 (almost 51) and still can't sit still for a second. I work from 8am to 10pm just because I'm "bored" ... my wife says I have to be nuts because my feet and legs are moving all night while I sleep. What can I say?

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed my mind about gun-ownership when I learnt why the US second amendment was created.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I changed my mind about gun-ownership when I learnt why the US second amendment was created.

Do you mean you changed your mind to be for it or against it?
    It's my understanding that the second amendment came into effect to insure that ALL United States citizens would be able to protect themselves, family, property, and country.
    Is that what you mean?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That.

And to overthrow the government if the need be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't think it's quite about over-throwing the government as much as it is about protecting our liberty as a while. If that includes over-throwing the government in some extreme case, then yes, I totally agree.
    But I also think that the government would see this scenario coming well ahead of time and try to enact laws to disarm us...similar to the "new" US government that will be in place soon.. .

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I have to say about that "new" US government is that things that seem too good to be true, usually are.

And let's just leave it at that.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Army and police erase on my mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a huge supporter of the right to bear arms. I think having the right to protect yourself and your family is as natural as having the right to breathe. I have a Browning 425 (12 bore) It's beautifully balanced and far superior to the marques that they have bought out since. I wonder why they are rare in the states? Awesome collection by the way.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US-made Brownings are a dime a dozen here. You ca buy them at Wal-Mart even. The rarity I was referring to was the true Belgium-made Brownings. They definitely have a higher value here in the USA.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Being in the UK you can own a gun and hold a license for one if you choose but nowhere on the scale of the US. My personal feeling is that I have no problem with people owning guns and outlawing them due to gun crime is not a good solution. Educate people and make them aware of how to use them responsibly, take away the mystery and 'coolness' and it takes away the appeal of them.

I also think that UK police should be armed in the same way the US police force are.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just like anything in the world- it only takes a few to give a bad name to many. The idiots who mis-use firearms and commit crimes with them are the ones who make the Gov. feel the need to pass all of this B.S. legislation.
    This is stupid and ignorant of the US Gov. to do.
    Consider this: would they try to ban the driving of cars becuase of drunk drivers? Or would they sue Ford Motor Company becuase a drunk driver who happened to be driving a Ford caused and accident? No, they certainly would not.
    But they have no problem suing US gun-makers (Colt) for other people's mis-use and mistakes.
    Guns don't kill people; People kill people...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    I also think that UK police should be armed in the same way the US police force are.
    I thought they had changed that policy over the last few years and now 'bobbies' are armed

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No, only tactical response units or special units at events. You average bobby has a small extendable truncheon and pepper spray......
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the forces should be armed. Also farmers who own livestock, pass a strict psycological test and have a license.

Other than that I wholely disagree with the use of guns.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that this discussion is going to be separated into two types of people.

1) Americans
    2) Non-Americans

Like arkinstall, a fellow Brit, I don't believe that guns should be available to every one for private use on their own property. I don't mind the idea of someone being able to use a gun on property that is designated for people to use firearms though (a firing range) as long as guns are kept in and not out.

I live on the outskirts of Bristol, near a couple of farms. When I was younger my Dad took me to see one of his friends that owns a Farm (didn't run it) and I met the guys son, who decided to go into the Farmers shed and pull out a rifle and play around with it. I don't know if it was loaded, but he felt it necessary to point it at his own brother, then at me (which he received a busted nose for). To cut a long story short, the kid eventually got busted for shooting an animal on the farm a year or two later.

In many ways I don't believe that prohibition is the right thing to do, and that in a perfect world we could give people guns and no one would use them. Sadly, we don't live in an ideal society and regardless of the rules people will get hold of guns and they will kill. I believe they should be outlawed because I believe there would be more 'accidents' and woundings if they were legal than not.

In short, I don't believe guns should be freely available to the public, but I can understand a persons right to bear arms and how it shouldn't be a government matter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are three reasons for wanting a firearm - Attack, Defense and Sport.

Sport - well, the firearms should be restricted and not allowed off property.

Defense - Fighting fire with fire? Barbaric if you ask me.

The main reason for kids carrying knifes these days is defense - and that leads to teenage stabbing records being set year after year - which leads to more kids fearing for their lives so carrying knifes.
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    I think that the forces should be armed. Also farmers who own livestock, pass a strict psycological test and have a license.

Other than that I wholely disagree with the use of guns.
    Let me reply with a somewhat different point of view and a question.

What is a gun by definition? An inanimate object. It can't do anything without the help of a human being correct?

So then we have to look at the real cause of gun crimes and accidents, namely people ... correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    I think that this discussion is going to be separated into two types of people.

1) Americans
    2) Non-Americans

Like arkinstall, a fellow Brit, I don't believe that guns should be available to every one for private use on their own property. I don't mind the idea of someone being able to use a gun on property that is designated for people to use firearms though (a firing range) as long as guns are kept in and not out.
    I was also really hoping to hear from some people from other countries too ... really interested in what certain people from certain countries think.

I live on the outskirts of Bristol, near a couple of farms. When I was younger my Dad took me to see one of his friends that owns a Farm (didn't run it) and I met the guys son, who decided to go into the Farmers shed and pull out a rifle and play around with it. I don't know if it was loaded, but he felt it necessary to point it at his own brother, then at me (which he received a busted nose for). To cut a long story short, the kid eventually got busted for shooting an animal on the farm a year or two later.
    Again, was this a 'gun' problem or a 'person' problem. Obviously the kid was never taught safety by his father and secondly shouldn't have had access to the gun ... here I blame the parents (esp the father)

In many ways I don't believe that prohibition is the right thing to do, and that in a perfect world we could give people guns and no one would use them. Sadly, we don't live in an ideal society and regardless of the rules people will get hold of guns and they will kill. I believe they should be outlawed because I believe there would be more 'accidents' and woundings if they were legal than not.
    OK, let me show you where I feel this kind of thinking is wrong. There are three states in the US (and one very large city) where owning a gun is next to impossible. I am referring to New York (especially the city), New Jersey, California and Chicago Illinois. Owning, carrying and even buying a gun are so restricted it's not funny and in these states many types of weapons are illegal to own (things like an AK-47 for example) YET these examples have some of the highest gun violence in the US.

So how in fact did those restrictions prevent crime or accidents? In my mind criminals will get guns whether they are outlawed or not just like they will get drugs whether they are outlawed or not.

I am also VERY curious about 'gun crime' in countries where they are heavily restricted or banned as well as places there is little or no restrictions. Did the restrictions (or lack there of) stop gun crime?

In short, I don't believe guns should be freely available to the public, but I can understand a persons right to bear arms and how it shouldn't be a government matter.
    Well there is the heart of the matter and in fact I do NOT want to get 'political' so I will refrain from commenting.

MY reason BTW for this thread is that this is really the only truly 'international' forum I know of. While this topic can be debated to death on a 'US only' board I am very curious as to the thoughts and experiences from people all over the world. I've been really curious about this for some time now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    The main reason for kids carrying knifes these days is defense - and that leads to teenage stabbing records being set year after year - which leads to more kids fearing for their lives so carrying knifes.
    I had read about that problem and even saw a show on the BBC about it. To me that just shows one way or another a violent person will find some type weapon some how.

I also really think the problem with the kids is (and a real hot button topic for me) bad parenting. I am the father of a 23 year old. Great kid, couldn't ask for more ... that being said when he was growing up we were strict and we made sure he knew the difference between wrong and right.

I see too many parents that have forgotten about parenting so they can chase the almighty dollar (insert your own currency there please). They have forgotten that being a parent is THE most important job they have. I could rant about that for days but you get the point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    I had read about that problem and even saw a show on the BBC about it. To me that just shows one way or another a violent person will find some type weapon some how.

I also really think the problem with the kids is (and a real hot button topic for me) bad parenting. I am the father of a 23 year old. Great kid, couldn't ask for more ... that being said when he was growing up we were strict and we made sure he knew the difference between wrong and right.

I see too many parents that have forgotten about parenting so they can chase the almighty dollar (insert your own currency there please). They have forgotten that being a parent is THE most important job they have. I could rant about that for days but you get the point.
    I agree.

Let me reply with a somewhat different point of view and a question.

What is a gun by definition? An inanimate object. It can't do anything without the help of a human being correct?

So then we have to look at the real cause of gun crimes and accidents, namely people ... correct?
    Correct - however if you remove the main method of accomplishing these crimes, and you remove some of the motive.

We can never control human nature - but you can control what they have access to.
    Jake Arkinstall