User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Digital Camera Would You Recommend?

What professional digital camera would you recommend for someone wanting to print professional images? Also, what lenses, lighting are most necessary?
    Download Software - Your place to Download Software
    PPC Management - Premium SEM, PPC Management Service
    Web Design - Award Winning Website Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to tell us more about your budget, size of your prints..
    I'm a fan of Nikon and would recommend D300 or the cheaper D80. But I've also heard good things about Canon Eos 50D which has 15 megapixels.
    Here's a resource that may be of help.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For lenses, it will also depend on what you want to take pictures of as well as your budget.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenses should be fixed focal length (i.e. not zoom) as you get better qaulity for your money. Then any higher range DSLR would be OK. Generally the more the better. I use a Canon 20D which is still doing me fine after several years. Reliable camera. Get the latest photo mag, and read up on the reviews. Lenses vary a lot, I use a Sigma 1.4 30mm (effective focal length just short of 50mm with a 1.6 conversion factor in the DSLR). Good all round lens.
    My site: My Extension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are your images going to be used? How large will they be used? What's your budget?

You mentioned lighting... Will you be studio based or are you referring to flashguns perhaps?

What will be your subject matter? Having us suggest wide-angle lenses when you're wanting to shoot sport from hundreds of metres away isn't going to help you at all!

More info, please!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Canon EOS 50D. I love it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DelfinaMc2008 View Post
    Try Canon EOS 50D. I love it!
    I personally like Canon also, and have very good experience with it.
    Although like many people above mentioned a lot depends on your budget and usage
    (How you plan on using it, and under what conditions).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard Lumix Panasonic are good ones. My brother has one. However, as for me I'm fine with my Sony Ericsson D750i 2.0 megapixel camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my rebel xti.. if your going to spend money on a camera make sure you have 300ish to spend on a lens as well or else there is not much point.

I like it because when I upgrade to a newer body Ill have all my old lenses.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starter and bang for the buck. I recommend Nikon D40.
    My day's not complete without my Stylische Laptops..

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technik Frauen View Post
    For starter and bang for the buck. I recommend Nikon D40.
    Good camera, nice kitlens. But not good with non-AF lenses.

Be sure you buy a camera body that has an auto focus motor, so non AF lenses are compatible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote for Canon EOS series. What lenses you need depends on what kind of objects do you shoot. Flowers? Athletes? Birds? They all need different lenses for the best result.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professionals - won't use digital one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newguru View Post
    That post made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Are you suggesting that professional photographers won't use digital cameras? Complete sentences, please, so we can put your opinion in its intended context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rebel is what I consider as starting point. Then I'll invest in lenses that I can still use even when I upgrade the body.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newguru
    Realistically, the only times these days when film cameras may beat digital cameras will be for gigantic prints, like building-size. With those enormous sizes, nothing beats a film transparency... so far !

4" x 5" format cams or modern Twin Lens Reflex, for example.

But digital cameras are catching up fast, and soon enough film will be replaced, just as CD's replaced VHS cassettes.

Did you know there's a 160 megapixel cam out there ?

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfan77
    What professional digital camera would you recommend for someone wanting to print professional images? Also, what lenses, lighting are most necessary?
    You're going to get as many answers as there are people in this forum. Here's mine...

In photography, lighting matters much more than your camera. An el cheapo compact camera like a Powershot or Coolpix, can, with proper lighting (and maybe a tripod), give you results indistinguishable from a quote-unquote "professional" camera.

Some of those compact cameras offer resolutions as high as 8 or 10 megapixels... large enough for quality prints.

The reason for going for an SLR is to have full control over your depth of field and access to the wider array of lenses, filters, strobes, etc. But all of those things will begin to cost you more and more money, so it's usually best to purchase at your level and work your way up as you need (or want) to.

In compact cameras, I like Canon's Powershot, because it offers a full manual mode. This means that I can put the camera on my tripod and use natural light, no matter how dark, to get properly exposed photographs (by using longer shutter-speeds). OR, I can use desk-lamps and whatever else is around to compose my shot.

In SLR's, I use a Nikon D80. This is an entry level, "amateur" camera, though as I said, your camera matters much less than your lighting. With proper lighting I've been getting great results so far, and as I learn more about white-balance and composition, my photographs have been getting better and better. All that without the zillion dollar, high-end cam.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "compact camera" by the way, is one of those all-in-one, point-and-shooter type cameras. The lens and flash are built-in to the body, and usually there's an LCD screen at the back where you look to compose your shot.

Here's a good example of what a compact camera looks like.

An "SLR" or "Single Lens Reflex" is one of those fancy-dangle, larger cameras. The lenses are separate to the camera body and sold separately. This will cost you more money of course, but allow you to purchase only lenses you need and lenses that fit your budget. You can also attach external flashes or studio-strobes to SLR's, plus the whole, wide array of accessories like remote controls and power-packs, etc.

Here's a good example of an SLR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am satisfied with my camera - canon digital camera

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Nikon people will surely recommend something from their product line, which is fine. As i'm from the Canon clan, i'll try to go with Canon:

All depends from your budget, really. I would recommend Canon 5D Mark II - as a balance of price and quality. For a lower budget - 400D (the Rebel one). Then, you have to get a good lens that fits to your needs...
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a new canon 16.7 megapixel camera. Now, I finally understand how having a higher MP camera can enhance images - especially those of people. Has anyone else found the same?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jervin69
    I just got a new canon 16.7 megapixel camera. Now, I finally understand how having a higher MP camera can enhance images - especially those of people. Has anyone else found the same?
    That's mostly for the sake of printing. Higher resolutions can print larger.

You have an added benefit of being able to crop to your subject tighter, but presumably you shoud crop as tight as you can while shooting, rather than while photo-editing.

Sharpness and clarity of your photographs have more to do with lenses (and focus and aperture) than resolution.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From 2 MP you can already print perfect pictures on A4 paper size (30*20 cm).

I have a digital camera with 6 MP. I can print very large pictures, specially when I save them in RAW format, I can get the pictures super large so I have > 250 Mb per picture... (depending on the format .tiff, .psd, ...) to print on extra large canvasses etc...
    So I mostly save the RAW format and convert to .jpg as tiny as possible (otherwise it takes shitloads of space on the hard disk). If I want the bigger picture, I reopen the RAW format and let it recalculate to a huge large .jpg.

So for me, > 6 MP camera's are totally idiot.

Question yourself how many times you print a picture so big to cover a 5 meter long wall ...
    A few months ago I printed 2 canvasses of about 110*55 cm with my 6 MP camera. Already big enough.

If you want to make pictures for the web. Make sure your pics aren't higher than 50 Kb per picture. Otherwise it takes longer to load. Specially when you have more than one picture on your page. Also think about lots of people with telephone-line-modems (slow internet). There are lots of them in poor countries.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too love taking lots of photographs. But for a limited budget
    I only use a sony digital camera. I can't afford compact cameras, they're far too expensive. Since I'm highly skilled with Photoshop, my sony digital camera works well for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously would consider a Canon EOS series camera if I was you. Canon makes great CMOS sensors which are considered to be the best in the world. They outperform the Nikon and the Sony sensors for grain, noise and edges.