SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you use javascript rollovers just to prove the point that you believe everyone should have javascript turned on in their browsers, even though css is cleaner and requires less markup and is generally better?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use JS because I like the simplicity and because I'm happy with the final results.

I don't use JS because some nuts turn it off, but also I don't quit using it for that reason.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How is javascript simpler? If anything javascript is more complex unless your leaning on Dreamweaver's terrible code.

If you truly require functionality outside of what CSS can support then by all means use javascript, but a simple rollover - give be a break. That's not simple, its more complex especially if your separating behavior from structure as you should. If that is the case then you need to write all code to first grab the elements, then add the listeners. A pain in the @ss that is easily avoided using CSS. Now if your just placing your javascript inline, then you have other problems to worry about. There's not one reason to use javascript for a simple rollover unless you simply don't know what your doing or are relying on code generation software. Those are the only two types of people who use javascript for roll overs these days. Granted there are probably some people who know what they are doing and may use javascript for roll over, but that's only because they are stuck in the past. They are probably using unsematic markup just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer CSS, except if you need a gradual transition (more than 1 pix in between).