User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Kevin and all,

I was following your tutorial just great 9+ a friend fo mine installed phpadmin so that I can interact with the sql tables on the browser). everything was great until my friend told me to do the following:

1. go to phpadmin.
    2. i'll see my databases in the left frame. one of them is called mysql
    3. under this mysql db there are tables and one of them is called user
    4. this user tables contains host/username/password and other rows. he told me to change the default of host/username/password to % and to drop all other rows leaving just host/username/password
    5. after doing so he said i should reload mysql

so i followed all that and then even restarted my computer. connected to mysql went to phpadmin and ALL tables that I had created (including the jokes one) were gone.. all of them...

what happened ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did your friend tell you why to do that? By deleting all the other rows, you have denied yourself and all MySQL users global permissions. Basically, your tables are still there, you just don't have access to them!

Start your mysql server (mysqld) with the --skip-grant-tables option (to provide full access to anyone with no usernames/passwords required) and use phpMyAdmin or the methods I described in Part 8 of my series to backup your databases (all except the damaged mysql database). Then reinstall your server from scratch (to restore the grant tables in the mysql database). Finally, restore your backed up databases.

Oh, and ask your friend what he was hoping to accomplish. I'd be really interested to know!

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

[This message has been edited by kyank (edited July 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by kyank (edited July 20, 2000).]