SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions for those using vBulletin...

I'd like to add some custom features to my new vBulletin board, but don't know how to do it myself (and don't want to learn )

When I got my first got my UBB, I was able to find folks who installed hacks for a fee...

Does anyone know of services like that for VB? (I went to vbulletin.org, but I didn't see where i could hire anyone.)

For those of you with 'custom vb's' can you suggest some assistance for me?

I'm also shopping around for custom graphic services for vb.

(btw, i'm also willing to pay to have the board installed at my new server, and to have my UBB contents transfered.)

To the moderators: if this post is in the wrong forum, my apologies...didn't know where else to put it.

Kat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Questions for those using vBulletin...

Originally posted by Kat
    To the moderators: if this post is in the wrong forum, my apologies...didn't know where else to put it.
    Maybe...here: http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...p?forumid=7&s=
    -*-
    B-School Forums - GMAT / MBA / Admissions discussions
    -*-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vB is about to go thru a major upgrade to version 3. I strongly suggest you wait until v3 is out, and then give it a few weeks to stabilize before you start modifying it. Based on my limited experience, it will be along time after v3 before v4 comes along, but it is also likely v3.00 will not be stable and you will want to look for a couple of patch-releases first.

I may have the skills you are looking for, and would be happy to talk to you off-line. Be careful that whoever you hire gves consideration to how much the acks cause you to diverge from the vB standard system.

Send me an email, and check out the php Portal Project to see what I am doing with vB right now.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question what will be better re: v3?

Thank you for your reply! But i'm wondering...just how different will v3 be? Do you have any ideas what new features they're adding? (I'll check out their site, and see what I can find....)
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JelSoft (makers of vB) are horrible at communicating with their customers. They seem to delight in secrecy and are never willing to commit to anything until it is done and delivered. They are very "non-business" oriented in this respect. They seem to delight in keeping information to themselves, and do not recognize the needs of their customers to plan and manage upgrades and feature releases. SO you have to deal with them on faith. It is not a good place to be.

On the plus side of the ledger, they have built an excellent product. When v2 came out, it had some badly needed (IMHO) improvements, and I am assuming v3 will be the same. But now my own needs are less urgent. The v2 features I was anxiously waiting for. I don;t know what v3 could bring that would put a BIG smile on my face unless they restructure the whole system and clean up a lot of design decsions made during their non-structured (IMO) product grwoth. I would love to see an OOP foundation that made it easier to localize changes and interface to their system. That is my biggest wish list item.

But v3 is supposed to be out "Real Soon Now", so that is why I brought it up for you. If they had more info available, you and I could both make some intelligent decisions about buy (and hack) now vs. wait. I expect this will be my last release of vB, and after this I will stick with the version I end up hacking and interfacing to. The lack of information can be very damaging to site development plans, and it is probably better to have orphan code than to live with their unpublished and random schedules and product ideas.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In defence of Jelsoft (I do work for them ) none of the last few releases have been planned. We always inform customers about our plans - but the most recent releases have all been due to security issues which we could not possibly have forseen. We have to make the choice to either not release and leave the software insecure, or release a new version to remove a security hole. I do agree that more information would be useful but at the moment we ourselves haven't known that any of the latest releases were happening until the day before.

Kat: If you post in the vBulletin.org forums someone will offer to help you out. For your installation you could also use the paid installation service at vbulletin.com.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies!

Galt:
    I think I just might hack away at the current version...Like you, I can't think of too many other features that I could want, and I just want to get this UBB to vB move DONE.

Plus, too many changes of too long a period of time make the members of my board VERY irritable....not worth the hassle.

Also, you're right about the VB folks being non-business...I haven't been too impressed with the folks they have on the front lines...

James:
    That last line wasn't talking about you, of course

Thanks for the note about installation...but i'm looking for a one stop shop...Install the board, import my old UBB board, install the new graphics, AND install the hacks - for one fee.

Not too much to ask

Kat

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, James....

So can you tell us when v3 is going ot be out, and what new/improved features there will be?
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hey, James....

Originally posted by StateDOG
    So can you tell us when v3 is going ot be out, and what new/improved features there will be?
    There currently isn't a release date. They are hoping for a beta in June but that isn't set yet. It remains to be seen if it is a semi-workable product then.

Some features have been posted and include:
    Language Translation (major feature which is holding things up right now).
    Expanded Calendar
    Faster and more powerful template system
    Expanded Calendar
    Expanded User Profiles.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the significant version 3 upgrades...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't say those where the significant ones.. I said those are the ones that have been disclosed so far.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also rumor of a "thread view" of threads instead of the current "post view"...if you know what I mean. But that's just rumor.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views

Would more people like the "threaded" view?

I guess when I first started using message boards, they all seemed to be on the threaded view, but the most pop board software seems to be the way SPForums is.

Is there a big push to go to the threaded view?

StateDOG
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my guess is choices are always besdt for the user...

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    There's also rumor of a "thread view" of threads instead of the current "post view"...if you know what I mean. But that's just rumor.

Sketch
    No rumour - Fact. There was even a screenshot that showed it in action.

Weeee...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny reading these posts from a year ago saying vB will be out "real soon."