SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble running a site offline

Alright, so I downloaded an entire site via ftp (at least I thought I got the entire thing) with the intention of running it offline so I could touch up the visuals and tweak the layout a little bit without much hassle. The problem I'm having is opening up the site in with my browser offline. I haven't done anything yet so I know that's not the problem! The site is written in PHP and CSS and uses MYSQL. I assumed it wasn't necessary to set up an offline MYSQL database to run the site offline to do what I needed to do but I could be wrong.

I guess I would consider myself to have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS so I wouldn't be surprised if I am missing something very obvious here. When I open the index file (index.php) my browser is completely blank.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    A community environment where web designers can share their work:
    RateMyWebPage.net
    Check out and review some new and unique websites or submit your own

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If MySQL then you will need to set up a MySQL database. I suggest that you install LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) on a spare pc / disk partition, and test on that. Ideally set up the same versions that your server uses, as not all servers are the same. Although saying that, Ubuntu is very user friendly and easy to get started with. I have blogged some notes from when I set Ubuntu / LAMP up at home for testing purposes - although this is by no means a good resource to refer to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, it's not as easy as I thought. It looks like I have some work to do.
    A community environment where web designers can share their work:
    RateMyWebPage.net
    Check out and review some new and unique websites or submit your own

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worthwhile though to set up a server at home to test on. You can also use it as a working backup just in case something happens to the professional server.