SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image storage question

I have a wordpress site which uses alot images.

Is it preferable to host them on an outside site (I use photobucket) or to upload them into the site's database? Or does it even matter.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend storing them on your own website as opposed to outside websites as there might be bandwidth issues, you don't want to wake up one morning and see "PHOTOBUCKET NO HOTLINKING" images all over your site =P
    WebTouchUp.com
    Website touch-ups at flat rates! 64 hour turn-around time!
    Why get a re-design when you can get an upgrade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To expand on LucDeacu's point, you'll want to store your images on the same hosting service as your word press site as image files, not in a database. If you have one of the free wordpress dealies and they don't let you upload images, then you may want to get your own hosting service for like $5 a month and upload the images to your hosting service.
    Those free image upload services have limited bandwidth allowance for image uploads meaning after a few people visit your website, you'll start to see "no hotlinking!" messages everywhere.

You really don't want to store image data in a database unless the images are really really small like icons or something. Most people do not store the image data in a database. Instead you want to upload those images via ftp to your hosting service and link to the images from there.