SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating an "aggressive sales pitch" site + does Acrobat suck or is it just me?

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions...

1. What is the best tool to create "aggressive sales pitch" web site like the ones that sell information products through clickbank and have all kinds of colorful elements such as testimonials, big red letters, hand holding money, pile of cash =))) I played around with WordPress but I need a web site, not blog style. Can anyone suggest the best tool for building web sites I am describing?

2. Can anyone explain why most e-books are in PDF format? Why not Microsoft Word or just a hidden HTML file that the customer gets access to after they paid? I ask because I am having all kinds of problems with PDF... Adobe Acrobat was crashing on me when I tried to open PDF files, I completely uninstalled it and installed it from scratch, the installation was successful but now when I try to open a PDF file it's completely quiet! Really, nothing happens, I get an hourglass for a second, then it ignores me =(
    I realize this is not a technical support forum, hence the question is simply WHY is PDF popular for e-Books?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MarkNYC; Dec 17, 2008 at 06:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Pdf:s are easy to deliver&share, for example via email. Pdf:s also look same no matter where you open it (Microsoft Word doesn't).

Try usign Foxit reader instead of Adobe. It's much lighter.

I don't think you need any tool for creating that kind of page. Well, maybe frontpage or notepad. If you check source code from that kind of site it's not very complicated to produce similar one. You probably need some form-script and checkout system like Google checkout or Paypal, but that's it.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNYC View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions...

1. What is the best tool to create "aggressive sales pitch" web site like the ones that sell information products through clickbank and have all kinds of colorful elements such as testimonials, big red letters, hand holding money, pile of cash =))) I played around with WordPress but I need a web site, not blog style. Can anyone suggest the best tool for building web sites I am describing?
    WordPress, as you said, is a bloging platform and not a tool to create websites. You need an Editor to create a website. If you like WYSIWYG editors, Dreamweaver or GoLive are probably the best choice, if you want a good text editor, notepad++ could be a good choice too.

2. Can anyone explain why most e-books are in PDF format? Why not Microsoft Word or just a hidden HTML file that the customer gets access to after they paid? I ask because I am having all kinds of problems with PDF... Adobe Acrobat was crashing on me when I tried to open PDF files, I completely uninstalled it and installed it from scratch, the installation was successful but now when I try to open a PDF file it's completely quiet! Really, nothing happens, I get an hourglass for a second, then it ignores me =(
    I realize this is not a technical support forum, hence the question is simply WHY is PDF popular for e-Books?

Thanks!
    PDF = Portable Document Format. That's why it is so popular. Basically:

1.- It looks the same in all platforms and computers

2.- It has security features, such as forbidding copying text or extracting it to other fonts. The access to the text can be limited by using a password. The content can aslo be certified by using a digital signature.

3.- It is very light, and therefore appropiate for online distribution

It has many other features that, as far as know, are exclusive of Acrobat (creating forms and javascript programming, tools for editing and modifying PDFs, or revision of text)

There are many other softwares that can create PDFs, such as AllPDF or CreatePDF, but Acrobat full software is the only one that I know that has all the tools (although I am not very well informed about this because I only use Acrobat)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website selling the products themselves are usually done in HTML for seo reasons and that cone be done by hand or like molona said with a wysiwyge.
    FileFreaks.com Web Hosting
    Freak (n.): Someone so devoted it resembles an addiction.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I be just completely disagreeable for a minute and ask why the Web needs another

"aggressive sales pitch" web site like the ones that sell information products through clickbank and have all kinds of colorful elements such as testimonials, big red letters, hand holding money, pile of cash
    ?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The web doesn't need another aggressive sales pitch. The question wasn't whether one was needed though and so in answering the question that was asked the fact that the end objective of the person asking the question not actually being something that is needed wasn't mentioned. Anyway most people setting up such sites usually just end up spending heaps of money buying garbage products that claim to tell them how to do it and so everyone with that goal in mind just ends up with a site that any sane person would keep well away from anyway. They don't tell you that the only people making money from aggressive sales pitches are the handful of people who thought up the idea in the first place who are selling the ebooks to everyone else trying to break into that field.

As for word documents and the web - reasons not to use them include:
    1. Not everyone has a copy of Word or knows where to download the free reader from.
    2. Word and the free reader don't run on all platforms
    3. Word is dependent on the fonts on the local computer - you can't use the fonts you want unless the person reading also has it.
    4. Word documents can be edited by the recipient who would then be able to sell their own version of the file which was just different enough to not be recognised as the same content. Private Label Rights products are distributed in this format (amongst others) because it does allow changes.
    5. The history of all past versions of a document may be buried in the document where a knowledgeable person can see what the earlier versions looked like (including identifying the name of the person and computer that made each change).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen, as noted, I was being disagreeable. Other community members were being helpful and supportive, as they usually are. I didn't go that direction.