SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer View Post
    I am upset. Someone told me my boss said he doesn't want us to use Dreamweaver anymore! That is insane! Dreamweaver is an important designing tool, and a powerful one at that! I have been having problems with my programmers all because of the issues between an HTML Dreamweaver file and a Microsoft Visual Studio ASP file. The problem is NOT Dreamweaver, the problem is what we are doing with the files. Do you agree that saying a designer can't use Dreamweaver anymore is a gross error? Or does it really matter? I hate to have to fight him on this. But I don't want anyone making decisions out of ignorance either! By illuminating Dreamweaver would be to slow down the design process significantly!
    Start talking about profits.

It is much faster to create a functional site using Dreamweaver. Learning HTML is crucial because DW and VS will add extraneous code.

Sample Scenario: Coding in Notepad may take 3 days, where DW will take 3 hours (if you can write HTML and know what to clean up).

I feel your pain on this one, but VS is quite easy to use too (even though I prefer DW).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Just wish Macromedia still had the product as Adobe's philosophy is pretty much: software = bloat + bloat;

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say first reconfirm from your boss, what you have heard is true...

If so, then it's better to reach to core of the issue. What has made your boss so disturbed. Let me remind you... "Boss is always right".
    Last edited by r937; Apr 27, 2009 at 01:48.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stil don't understand why people seem to have a problem with Dreamweaver. Its find and replace tool alone has saved me countless hours and the fact you can see the end result easily is another benefit.

I understand that when using the WYSIWYG view, some strange code can sometimes be added but as long as you know what you're doing, you can switch to code view and correct the mistakes. It's still a lot quicker than writing the code entirely by hand.

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @simon14593

All good editors have efficient search by string or regexp, and replace functions. All good editors will search forward or back from the current point, or will search only the selected region of the buffer. All good editors will hi-lite all found strings for inspection before replacing them willy-nilly.

My experience with DW is far out of date, but I found the plethora of drag and drop, and dropdown menus to be terribly inefficient. All good editors have key-bindings to insert tags, or to wrap tags around selected content, or to complete tags. Every time your hands leave the keyboard, your productivity is lessened.

There are several editors that are fit to the job without the high cost of lost productivity or the umpty-somethin' dollars of DW.

cheers,

gary
    Anyone can build a usable website. It takes a graphic
    designer to make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.

Simple minded html & css demos and tutorials

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simon14593 View Post
    I stil don't understand why people seem to have a problem with Dreamweaver. Its find and replace tool alone has saved me countless hours and the fact you can see the end result easily is another benefit.

I understand that when using the WYSIWYG view, some strange code can sometimes be added but as long as you know what you're doing, you can switch to code view and correct the mistakes. It's still a lot quicker than writing the code entirely by hand.

Simon I agree with you 100%!

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer View Post
    Simon I agree with you 100%!
    Support this statement, "It's still a lot quicker than writing the code entirely by hand."

Compare to any of the good, free text editors.

cheers,

gary
    Anyone can build a usable website. It takes a graphic
    designer to make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.

Simple minded html & css demos and tutorials

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when it comes to text replacing nothing really beats the way you do it with Vim, but that's a whole new learning curve.

Dreamweaver is a heavy application and it needn't be. I have used alot of editors before, including Dreamweaver, and to be honest there weren't that many benefits - especially given the pricetag.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona