SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am telling no one in particular about reading reviews.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually your boss is going nuts.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting rid of dreamweaver MAY have been a bad choice, depending on how many sites they run, but if they only use one site, the employees can get along with another text editor I am sure.

SitePoint Enthusiast Michael Larsson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your boss is not a web developer then he should let you use Dreamweaver as thats what you are familiar with...otherwise it will take you a while to learn other editors...

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats not the point. The OP was using dreamweaver in WYSIWYG view, making table-based designs and designs with god knows how many more issues.

Getting rid of dreamweaver in that case is a good move. It encourages the guy to start doing his job properly.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would actually decrease the time spent making the site. The time it takes to make a table layout in all browsers in Dreamweaver would far outweigh the time spent making it semantically correct with css and divs in another editor like PSPad.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this has been a brilliant and lively discussion
    i'm new to SITEPOINT and this has been a good introduction to the depth of knowledge available on here plus it has put me off dreamweaver big time !

anyone want to mentor me ? I'm based in London, UK (but that is irrelevant) and am a rookie web designer ...to tell the truth I could do with a bit of encouragment now and then..

cheers guys

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I don't think anyone will mentor you. We have many forums for well, basically EVERYONE here to mentor you (If mentors are indeed allowed, I call Paul OB )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CS4 is a great tool. But it shouldn't be the ONLY tool you use. Get yourself a good text editor, maybe even do a little reading and start out simple. Start making simple sites by hand and then work your way up. I PROMISE you will make pages in less time with more accurate code
    William Waldon
    Front End Web Programmer
    http://www.wilwaldon.com
    iphone website design

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newhere View Post
    it has put me off dreamweaver big time !
    Nothing really wrong with Dreamweaver if it is used as a glorified text editor to assist writing code - lots of features in it can reduce development time. Whether the cost of it justifies what it can do is your decision. If it is made available to you via your employer, then it is just as capable of producing clean, semantic code as any other editor.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CS4 is a great tool.
    CS4 doesn't mean Dreamweaver CS4 in general. CS4 is the Creative Suite 4 that contains Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JsD2K View Post
    CS4 doesn't mean Dreamweaver CS4 in general. CS4 is the Creative Suite 4 that contains Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, etc.
    I meant to say DWCS4 My bad.
    William Waldon
    Front End Web Programmer
    http://www.wilwaldon.com
    iphone website design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to shake your bosses hand. I hate dreamweaver.. all wysiwigs do is get in the way of real code. Whenever I am forced to use it I feel like I loose a bit of control... and i wish that dreamweaver would actually base itself off a real browser. Even tho a site may look good in FF3 and IE6 it dosnt mean dreamweaver will know how to render it. </rant>

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure if Adobe lowered their prices down to around 200 dollars, their sales would be enormous. It would finally be a price that everyone can afford. Even 300 dollars wouldn't be bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antirem View Post
    all wysiwigs do is get in the way of real code.
    Only when they are used that way ...
    Dreamweaver's design view window is handy to check you are targeting the correct elements, and all previewing should be done in actual browsers, which you would have to do with other editors anyway.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the perfect software would have these

1. You can choose to view the result of your code in (ie, ff, chrome, opera, safari)
    2. Auto complete
    3. Not a wysiwyg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure if Adobe lowered their prices
    Agreed - whether the software is applicable to the application or not, the high prices are the main reason their products are the most pirated - sensible pricing would increase sales and reduce piracy (same goes for Microsoft).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the same problem with Coldfusion. if Coldfusion was free then buh bai to all other languages IMO. All you have to learn for CF is just a few new tags. its like learning a little more html. Thats why Coldfusion has had a slow start all these years.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure if Adobe lowered their prices down to around 200 dollars, their sales would be enormous. It would finally be a price that everyone can afford. Even 300 dollars wouldn't be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
    Agreed - whether the software is applicable to the application or not, the high prices are the main reason their products are the most pirated - sensible pricing would increase sales and reduce piracy (same goes for Microsoft).
    TBH, I don't think Adobe cares that much about 14 year old Jimmy who pirated Dreamweaver to make l33t websites. Most companies and professionals do purchase a license. Besides, if you make websites for a living then it shouldn't be that much of an issue to afford Adobe Creative Suite (or just Dreamweaver if you only want that). Adobe CS is not targeted towards consumers, but professionals.

Besides, what do you know about their sales? What's best? 10 licenses at $399, or 15 licenses at $199? There is no way you can say that e.g. a 50&#37; price drop will result in a 50% increase in sales.

Ubisoft is doing a kind of experiment at the moment. A lot of people claim that they pirate games because they hate DRM, so Ubisoft shipped their new Price of Persia with no DRM whatsoever. If people were truthful then they should experience a massive sales boost, but to be honest, I don't think it'll happen. I think that if people pirate something then they didn't intent in paying no matter what. I doubt that a pirated copy is very often a lost sale.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cant lose what you never had. The Adobe company WOULD have an increase in sales if they dropped their prices because I would be one of the consumers. And no, I don't think that DW is targeted towards professionals. They want any web developer to use it. Which is why they are trying to get DW to parse Server-side languages.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cant lose what you never had. The Adobe company WOULD have an increase in sales if they dropped their prices because I would be one of the consumers.
    Yes, sales would increase, but the sales is irrelevant. It's the revenue that matters. If you decrease the price with x% then you need > x% more sold licenses. Otherwise you'll not benefit, and probably lose money, doing it.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is going of topic and it is not related to the issue at hand. Although I do have an opinion about this (like everyone else), I will put in practice what I preach and close my mouth about the subject

Any tool that helps you to improve your performance is great, and DreamWeaver is a great piece of software, but the truth is that you still need the knowledge to handle it properly. So it is not a matter of DW by itself. At then end of the day, if you want to be sure that the code is correct you need to code by hand (which, of course, doesn't mean that you can't use as many features as you wish to be quicker)

The original poster has proved to be, in my humble opinion, smart and open-minded about this, realised his limitations and agreed that he would need to learn more if he wants to meet the requirements. I am more than certiain that AnotherDesigner will be successful and he will soon come to SP to tell us how right we were.

Of course, I love to be right

Off Topic:

@newhere: Welcome to the forums

As JsD2K suggested, there is not a mentoring program here. We all help each other, as I am sure that you will when you feel more confident. If you need help, do a search first and, if you don't find an answer, post your question in the right forum. If you need help finding the right area, ask anyone with a blue, green or orange badge (blue=Team Leader, Green=Advisor, Orange=Mentor). Reds are for Forum Administrators and black for Sitepoint Staff

The SitePoint Staff are based on a team structure.

Administrator
    Team Leader
    Advisor
    Mentor

Each area of the forum (community Center, Manage your Site, Promote your Site...) has its own team.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will never know if their sales would increase unless they do it. I honestly believe so many people would grab DW while its available. They can say they are having a sale I guess. If they drop the price 50% the its like what..200? Thats easily affordable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just dropped it $350 Web Premium Suite for all you fellow college students. Go pick it up great deal at Academic Superstore.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and i wish that dreamweaver would actually base itself off a real browser.
    Webkit is not 'real'? Why don't you try to tell Google that Chrome is not a real browser. And then go tell Apple the same about Safari.
    Even tho a site may look good in FF3 and IE6 it dosnt mean dreamweaver will know how to render it. </rant>
    Even thought a site may look good in FF3 and IE6 it doesn't mean it will look good in Safari.