SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Finding Potential End Users

As stated from another thread, I am creating this thread for others to share their own experiences or tips for finding potential end users to sell their domains to.

Here are some of mine:

1.) Conduct a search on google for the main keyword or phrase which your domain represents.

2.) Look over the results and make a list of who would most likely benefit from having the domain you're looking to sell.

3.) Another big help is by looking at the sponsored results. If you own exactly the phrase/word that a business is bidding on, they should be prime suspects of someone who would want to buy your domain.

4.) Find the right person to contact from these sites. Most of the time, you may only find an email address to start out with. That's ok, since it's good to send a simple email to begin with, as you don't want to put too much time on one contact when beginning this process.

5.) Craft a polite email proposal stating that you have this name for sale (as a courtesy to them). Keep it simple and to the point. If you make it too long, they may think of you as a spammer. Too short, they won't take it seriously. Tell them who you are (full name), email address, and phone number.

If you do this, be prepared to answer them either by phone or email. Contacts that you properly qualified as potential buyers should be eager to contact you, and depending on their preference for doing business, you should be prepared for either form of communication.

Be professional, and be quick to respond without sounding too eager to sell. You want to get the best price you can. You've let them know that the domain is for sale, but not at any price. If you seem eager, that could actually scare them away (and for good reason) or make them think you don't know what you're doing, and they'll low ball you.

If you make a mistake and this happens, stick to your price and keep looking for the next buyer. My rule of thumb is: Don't give too much away, but also don't try to suck every penny out of them either. You want the experience to be positive for both sides.

(I have more, but let's see what else you guys can come up with.
    )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, great tips - we never think google is this niche-helpful but yes it is!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. park the domain first and get traffic statistics.

2. mention stats to potential end users

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly View Post
    1. park the domain first and get traffic statistics.

2. mention stats to potential end users
    unless there is substantial traffic, you shouldn't mention anything... and by substantial i mean hundreds of visitors per day.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike031 View Post
    unless there is substantial traffic, you shouldn't mention anything... and by substantial i mean hundreds of visitors per day.
    and you're not going to get that on a parked domain.

Anyway any existing traffic doesn't matter unless you are selling the web site with the domain.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    and you're not going to get that on a parked domain.

Anyway any existing traffic doesn't matter unless you are selling the web site with the domain.
    the whole point for parking domains, is to make money of off the traffic they are receiving.

i have thousands of domains, and i've parked plenty.. some receive substantial traffic and make a nice passive income, but then again some domains don't get any traffic. not even a single visitor per year.

what i meant to say was that, if there is maybe a few visitors per day... do they really matter? how much value do they add to the domain??

lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that they get some traffic does make it a tad bit more valuable. It's all relative to what topic it is. If the site is parked, and gets dribbles of traffic, not much is expected that it adds to the value of the name.

I think by parking it in the first place at least you know there's possible added value the domain can bring along with it, other than the market value of the name itself. Traffic is an asset. Selling a name with assets should be more valuable than just a name by itself with no traffic. (Common sense, I know, but the seller should highlight any assets when selling or marketing a name to sell.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike031 View Post
    I do agree with you on this though. If substantial traffic exists, then promote that. Otherwise, you start to look newbish when mentioning that 2 visitors a day come to the name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact if someone interested he will get in touch even without any traffic. In the both cases that is time related issue.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unless the domain is being sold with a site attached to it the relevance of the name to the proposed site the new owner intends using it for will be the main factor in determining the value of the domain to them.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    ....the relevance of the name to the proposed site the new owner intends using it for will be the main factor in determining the value of the domain to them.
    Exactly! If the domain name includes a category killer keyword related to their particular industry, those names will be of considerable value to that end user. A good domain name will help a visitor to their site understand almost immediately what the site is all about.

For those that have such domains for sale to end users, it's also best to get a professional appraisal by a qualified appraiser, so you're not shortchanging yourself when you are looking to sell. It also helps you prove to an end user just how valuable the domain is alone, and that you're not cheating them. Make sure the appraiser understands that you are looking for what the price could fetch to an end user - not a wholesaler. There's a difference.