rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Having been involved in some of the web 3.0 stuff, such as microformats, there is an interesting issue that's cropped up.

Using hcard to mark up peoples contact information does make it nice and easy for web services to discover that information, but the flip side gets kind of darker. We are making it easy too for nasty organizations to cull that information and use it for their own nefarious purposes.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes , that's right, "Web 2.0" is a weird phrase. It began as the name of a conference, but the people organizing the conference didn't really know what they meant by .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Karpie,
    If you surf the web with any regularity, you see this question brought up on other forums, and it's been asked over and over on this forum, also. Hence my comment to Rudy above. Despite your implication that the "public" now has a different definition than professional groups, there's a whole conference brought together by O'Reilly that focuses on this very thing. In fact, there are drawings and diagrams which will point you in the true direction and you will see the answer.

I guess my "attitude" is the same as Tim O'Reilly's who wrote an article just for those who seem oblivious to his previous articles about what it is. After all, he coined the term, defined it, and gives presentations on it to this day.

So, why does the question exist and who are these people who keep asking it?

This is a discussions about web 2.0. This is not a meta discussion about discussions. If you want to talk about the redundancy in threads, I am sure if you start a new thread about redundant threads, then many people will be happy to engage you on it and it will be just another redundant tread among the many threads about how people are so redundant.

Jeff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Does it even really matter in the slightest what the definition of "Web 2.0" means?
    I don't think so, it has become, as pmw57 said above, a meaningless advertising slogan.
    It matters because if your client understands something by it then you need to understand what it is they understand.

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
    A meaningless advertising slogan.
    yeah just another marketing sales pitch.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jphilapy View Post
    It matters because if your client understands something by it then you need to understand what it is they understand.

Jeff
    Except, clients don't know what "Web 2.0" is either. To understand what your clients what you ask them you don't assume. You have to get details from the client, not just a single word. The definition of "Web 2.0" could mean anything to a client so how do you know which it is if you don't ask them? Like I said it doesn't matter in the slightest. Nothing but a buzz word for marketing.
    Last edited by logic_earth; Dec 22, 2008 at 16:36.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.