SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping databases in sync within a team

Hey guys.... I'm working within a team of other programmers & whenever one of us make changes to the database we usually send out an email to all other developers to make the change in their database, problem is people are getting behind on their emails & then when new code is put into a testing environment it is commonly breaking because someone forgot to make the necessary database changes.

So I was wondering what you guys use to handle this? Is their any kind of software that would make handling stuff like this easier? Any other ideas?

Thanks all!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the use of an online workspace might come in handy. Tasks such as chat, email, hour logging, scheduling, etc could be done. As well as post new DB structures to the group. Though I suppose if they are not checking e-mails to see if there are updates / not sending emails to update everyone else, this wouldn't help at all... nor would any other solution short of everyone using the same online DB.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta make a HUGE shout-out here to one of my favorite tools: SQL Examiner Pro from Tulasoft. I have numerous remote SQL Server databases that I have to manage and keep in sync with my development databases and the suite is really great for that. And the price is quite good compared to their competitors.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys... we actually have started looking at MySQL Workbench.... not sure how this compares to SQL Examiner Pro yet though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphix View Post
    Thanks guys... we actually have started looking at MySQL Workbench.... not sure how this compares to SQL Examiner Pro yet though. Thanks for the suggestion!
    SQL Examiner is for SQL Server sync'ing only, although you can use it to move some databases between server types. I don't have a solution for mySQL database sync'ing, although with several of those being managed, I'll likely start looking for one soon enough! I looked at workbench for a few minutes, but the free version seemed like more of a design tool, but maybe the commercial version is better for sync'ing.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trac ? trac-edgewall-org. The best software to track code changes, time spent on projects, has built-in wiki, etc.

Take care,

Mooze

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion... will check it out!