User Tag List

Thread: ded. hosts

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ded. hosts

ok i'm at a sort of junction and really don't know what to do but i need to make decisions quickly.

Basically, one of my sites have out grown VPS and i want to move over to a dedicated host. What i've done is contacted a few and i was making excellent progress with rackspace. I'd agreed on a spec and everything else was fine until i got the contract to sign, there is a 12 month recurrsing billing so i thought i'd find out what happens if i don't need the service anymore after a couple months... i have to pay for the rest of months as well as a cancellation fee... ok fair enough i have no other problem but what if for some reason traffic goes down on my site, so does revenue? I don't wanna have some hefty bill to pay. So am really pondering about whether i should go ahead or not... I've even shown a bit of interest in other hosts now, had a look at Inmotion and fast host but i don't know what to do here....

has anyone had experience with fasthost and inmotion... please share your thoughts on these hosts and what you think i should do... rackspace is really good i've had detailed feedback from one of their customers who says he's been with them for 4+ years with no problem so i'd wanna use them but this billing and the potential of revenue colapse, leaving me to foot the bill is a bit of a staggering thought.

thanks for any insights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    inmotion hosting is a great choice, you won't regret to host with them. But I don't know if $200/month (DS) is too much for you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inmotion is a high quality host and I would recommend them based on past experiences. We have never used FastHost though. You are smart to perform due diligence on cancellation clauses. There is nothing worse than being locked up in a contract when the host is not performing their duty to you by providing uptime.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the responses... inmotion it is then. $200 a month is oki the site is actually growing enough to be able to pay for it. lol that was my primry concern, what if the growth deteriorates and revenue goes down? Nevermind though, i'll go with inmotion based on the reviews i've read and your replies.

thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that I have heard about inmontion. So go ahead and do some search here or on the WHT for the domain names of them. I believe that you will have some customer reviews with you then
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tnx, i've done a bit of search on sitepoint already...might have a look at WHT as well. Don't have an account over at WHT though, might need that to search, not sure if its worth the hassle to sign up. I'm gonna go with inmotion based on sitepoint suggestions and reviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I think there are Hosting Providers who can offer you Great service and Quality hosting provider other than Mentioned above. I would suggest you to search more and think about it again. Also, when your website is doing well, you shouldn't worry about spending some more Money to get great service from a Good hosting provider and if you are away from those hassles of Hosting, you can spend more time on your website which will ensure further progress

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no don't get me wrong. I never saaid i was afraid to spend on my site. What i was worried about was getting into a binding 12 month contract and then revenue slumps and i would be left to pay £250 a month for the rest of the twelve months PLUS a cancellation fee...
    The website's only been performing for a month...how can i gurantee that will last?
    My problem was never the money, i agreed that price with them and was quite happy with it, it all came down the the cancellation terms...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you should carefully read the TOS of the company you are planning to sign up with to be doubly sure about the contract terms involved.

100% Uptime Cloud Hosting
    || Dedicated Servers
    Email :: sales @ eUKhost.com
    Complete Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem about a month back i have a FileHosting site that was out growing a vps server so i shopped around for a dedicated one and it was a good move it is on a rolling month contract instead of a years contract the reason i did not go yearly was that i had heard that my backup vps server people had hit financial problem and yes they went out of business in March with alot of peoples money.We were lucky and had transfered all our sites off the server with 48 hours to spare and lost a very very small amount of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotaz View Post
    no don't get me wrong. I never saaid i was afraid to spend on my site. What i was worried about was getting into a binding 12 month contract and then revenue slumps and i would be left to pay 250 a month for the rest of the twelve months PLUS a cancellation fee...
    The website's only been performing for a month...how can i gurantee that will last?
    My problem was never the money, i agreed that price with them and was quite happy with it, it all came down the the cancellation terms...
    To avaoid paying extra money I assume you need to try specify what you need. Without that that is difficult to find.
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You say you've outgrown your VPS, but rahter I'd say you've outgrown your specific provider - any decent provieder should be able to provide you wiht a more powerfuk VPS, even one more powerful than a basic cheap server.

Thanks,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hostgator?
    06.org, Corrected.com, FlipHome.com, Skirt.info
    www.TakeDomain.com
    Best Youtube Video Downloader

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why so many people dabble in all these so so dedicated hosts.

Softlayer is where you need to look.

SitePoint Enthusiast ArticleScholar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serverpoint and RapidVPS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fasthost is overselling on shared plans, but their dedicated is quite ok.
    Anyway contact them directly to discuss all the questions and ask for a test file to check the network.