Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software for beginners in web development

Hi,

I currently design and build websites for my clients. When the client wants something more than a static HTML website I normally outsource this to a web developer. My programming skills (eg PHP) are not great, in fact, non-existent. I prefer to concentrate on the front-end. However, I'm finding this kind of method slows me down. It also means having to rely on others which hasn't gone too well in the past. I've looked into using WebAssist - which might help with certain areas - like CMS or e-cart. Does anybody know if this is a good option or is there other software out there that is better than this. I use Dreamweaver so I guess I need to be looking at Dreamweaver extensions. Or should I stick with the real-life web developers.

What's your opinion? Are there any other front-end designers out there who have experience of using off the shelf products that can help them create more dynamic websites?

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that WordPress can fulfill most clients' CMS needs. It's easy to template and produces good quality markup plus it's reasonably easy for the clients to use and it has tons of plugins.

Also I'd suggest really getting to grips with a little PHP - you don't need a huge amount - just enough to be able to write a secure, updatable page (e.g. for news or recruitment) as this can be really helpful when something like WordPress would be overkill.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project