SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for inputs and advise on a new project.

Good day everyone!
    This is my story. I'm working on a design for a "dummy" online magazine.
    First I need to figure out the page resolution/size. I decided to go with 955px width which looks great and works perfectly in 1024px 768px screen resolution. But will have a horizontal scroll bar on a 800px by 600px screen.

My solution: I want to design two different pages or stylesheet.
    1. The first stylesheet will be 955px width, with all the designs and layout put together for this particular resolution.

2. The second stylesheet will be for 780px width which will work for 800 by 600 screens.

The idea is the default style will be set to the 955px width and then the user will have an option on the website to click on a button that will change the different styles, depending on their desire screen.

I want to also give the user the option of changing the page color and theme with different style sheets, so I figure I can also add the option where the page "size" can change according to user preference.

I know this is a lot of work but my goal is to have complete "absolutely" control over the "design presentation" which can also be a nightmere.

I could do the liquid layout but in my opinion, it's just as much work as doing it this way.

What are your thoughts?

I was also wondering if there is a script that switches the styles according to the user resolution? Like an onload Javascript?

Thanks everyone.

IC

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for a liquid layout - much easier.

You also can't have absolute control over the presentation of the site (nor should you). All you can do is make suggestions - the user has (or should have) final control.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconic_creator View Post
    I know this is a lot of work but my goal is to have complete "absolutely" control over the "design presentation" which can also be a nightmere.
    Not just as nighmare, impossible. You want your site to look the same way on a cell phone as a 24" LCD monitor? Not to mention an aural browser, since there are blind folks out there with money.

Dream on! And while you are dreaming read this article, which is appropriate today as it was in 2000 A.D., when it was written.
    Ed Seedhouse

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post
    I'd go for a liquid layout - much easier.

You also can't have absolute control over the presentation of the site (nor should you). All you can do is make suggestions - the user has (or should have) final control.
    I don't think you are understanding my concept.

I'm saying that when I insert a 955px banner, I want it to be 955px.
    What I'm trying to avoid are the pit falls that comes with the liquid version.

Absolutely control in my defination means if I put up a left sidebar at 355px with an image, it stays there and will not float away due to some user/browser problem.

The reader is on the site to read and enjoy what is being presented.
    When I come to sitepoint, I'm not coming to resize the banner or change the logo, I'm coming to learn and to read.

IC