SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Website for Film Reel

I've recently graduated from school and looking to apply for a job as an editor. Of course, I need a website to showcase my work. I've been reading up on various web hosting sites and don't really know if I need all the tools they offer. I don't need anything fancy, just something nice and simple that can gives me the ability to present my stuff in high resolution quality. I know many of these hosts offer flash support and streaming video, but what is the best avenue to take if I just want a bunch of videos and a simple/clean interface. Do hosts have flash capabilities or just support? I'm completely green when it comes to web hosting/ development so any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it all depends on how much video you are going to store on the servers.

You definitely need a lot of Web space and bandwidth to handle the streaming. There are plenty of affordable packages out there.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If by editor you mean movie editor yes, then you are going to be specially careful with bandwith. It can become very expensive plus video needs loads of it.

Hosting companies do not have flash capabilities per se. The possibility of viewing flash in your browser is because you have the flash plug-in installed in your computer. If by flash support you mean that you can upload flash movies to be played in anyone's browser, then all have that. Although a few specialize on that, but the reason, again, is bandwith.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know how to compress your video files / .flv to an appropriate size and you are only really looking to host a few bits... like your personal showreel and perhaps a few extra uni projects etc. i think you'll be fine with pretty much any reputable hosting.

Personally i have hosted a similar type site in the past with no problems using the starter package from www.heartinternet.co.uk - these are obviously based in the UK and therefore may not be ideal for yourself but you'll be able to find dozens of similar companies that are US based.

The key thing you need to look at in my opinion is the compression of your video and make the size and quality appropriate for delivery by the web.

From experience you'll often find that a multiple quality approach is taken whereby you can deliver the content by a number of means... i.e have it as a smaller screen size with heavier compression for delivery by the web and then have a higher resolution version with less compression which can be delivered on DVD. That way you can let potential employers see your work on your site and then you can take along the DVD version and let them see the higher quality version during an interview.

taking this even further you could include less projects / or make it a shorter edit on your web version and then when you take the DVD to an interview you are able to show them additional content from what has already been seen and got you so far etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definately take your guys' comments into consideration.