User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Website for a Photographer

Hello!

I am going to make a webpage for this photographer. I was wondering if anyone have any ideas for the project. Would be happy if someone pasted some links for pages that I can use for inspiration.
    Last edited by oya; May 6, 2002 at 06:45.

SitePoint Enthusiast steamengine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would like this site to be different from a "typical" photographer's site, encourage the photographer to use some text along with the photos.

For example, put a little description next to each photo saying who the client was, and/or a little anecdote about the photo.

Aside from that, my advice would be to keep it really simple, and don't let the design of the site overwhelm the photos themselves. Keep the background neutral, etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site for any photographer should include a bio, a history and a portfolio of his/her work. A photo of the photographer is also a must, in my opinion.

Depending on the type of work the photographer does, you might want to go with a black and white theme for the site layout. This will place the focus on the work he or she is displaying, rather than on the site design.

Look at http://www.donnaandrewsartist.com for an example of how I treated one artist's web site

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to echo what some of the other guys have said.

Keep the layout simple. Let the images do the talking. Bear in mind when doing the layout that some photographs will be portrait size and others landscape.

I personally would use a combination of greys on a white background for the colour scheme.

Qamar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also working on a photographer's site right now and I'm keeping the layout simple. I'm only using black, white and red throughout the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have suggested, I would go with something calm and simple. You don't want anything too flashy, because that will take away from the photographer's work, which is most likely the whole purpose of the site. I would stick with just a few colors in the designer, probably either some kind of black, white, grey combination or a few shades of blue. Either should make for an interesting site. Plenty of examples of the photographer's work should be included in the site, and the homepage should especially feature a piece of work that really captures the attention of the visitor. Hope this helps!

Jason
    Jason Bradley
    Post your project and receive FREE bids from professionals!
    naSnap Freelance Marketplace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree about the layout. Try to use only soft pastel colours. No colours that will take away from the pictures themselves
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to a photographers website. I have gotten good feedback from it.

http://www.jenross.com
    Paul K. Zorn - pzorn@interlacedmedia.com
    All help is always good and I will always try to help back.

http://www.interlacedmedia.com/ - Full Service Graphic Design, Multimedia, Photography, Video and Web Shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photographer sites are brilliant opportunities to pull out a few stops.
    As the agenda is already set by the visuality of the content then you have a greater opportunity to lay a little more design into it as the audience will by nature be more receptive to the visual elements within the site (and generally sophisticated enough to handle something other than a dumbed down approach to the visuals.)

Of course, I'm not saying distract, but compliment.
    Put as much effort into the site as the photographer puts into taking, editing and preparing their shots.

I wouldn't weigh down the photo pages themselves with anything more than the bare minimum of blurb.
    If there is info to go with each shot then perhaps find another way of making it accessible without neccessarily having it glued to the photos.

My personal leaning would be towards minimal and sophisticated, clean with excellent typography.

Don't neccessarily go for the most obvious method of navigation.
    Something reduced* and/or abstracted can easily be used to emphasise and focus the impact on the visuality of the photography whilst offering a sophisticated environment for the work to be shown in.
    (*I don't mean thumbnails. Thumbs= )

A fair example of what I mean is the plates menu on photographer Alan Siegel's One Man's Eye site.
    Notice that a more traditional hierarchical navigation is also offered there.

Seeing as you were after inspration too then you may enjoy checking out Linkdup's photographic sites listings.

There is a wide variety of styles in there (not just the 'bells n whistles' variety that the more design-illiterate amongst us generally consider there to be.)

This is a direct link, but you should ideally get there via the intended route Linkdup.com > Main Menu (center column) > The Entire Database > (Right column)> Creative Design > Photography.
    (It sounds a lot more complcated than it in fact is)

Hopefully a little time spent seeing a good range of what is out there will help get your creative juices flowing and your own ideas taking shape.

Photography offers an incredibly rich range of possiblities.
    You'll have no excuse for producing a boring site.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing how it turns out
    Last edited by Bill Posters; May 13, 2002 at 23:07.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

say Cheese :)

I like typographical designs, and for a photographers site this uses it quite well even though it's limited:
    http://www.gnyp.com
    I especially like how he's done the 'G' out of focus within the camera reticle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I am also designing a site for a photographer. I agree with much of what has been said plus each individual will have their own likes as well. I personally like extremely simple layouts for photo sites, less color exept for the photos themselves...little text except for captions or titles and "about" section.

Once design and layout is decided, and other than writing your own code fully, does anyone here have suggestions what existing script, services or software (affordable) is affordable and efficient can be used to manage the displaying, thumbnailing, lightboxes etc of items on like the typical photo web sites?

Not sure if the original poster wants that info as well...but am sure it will help those like myself interested in this thread...
    95 Degrees