SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody using the Uniquifier Wordpress plugin?

The uniquifier plugin turns duplicate content into unique content. Supposedly. So you copy & paste an article from elsewhere on the net, and the plugin churns into a unique article in the eyes of the SE's.

I have some reservations about whether this actually works, and if it does is it only a matter of time before the search engines pick up on it and start penalising sites that use this.

Is anybody using this already and what are your experiences with it?
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried alot of these content generation methods in my time and have always come to the conclusion that they don't bring any value and are worthless.

Unique content is NOT unique if it's copyscape passed, Google knows what article's are valuable and original, why would they rank your shabby rewritten article in their index if they have a whole host of other well written articles to choose from?

Stay away!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And doesn't it just call our ethics into question anyway?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filling the web with noise doesn't help anyone...

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I agree and further, rearranging words doesn't make something original. Have you run its output against copyscape?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't actually rearrange the words but puts code inbetween which makes it look unique to the search engines, yet still looks the same in your browser. Aparently it passes copyscape every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a stupid little plugin. There may be legitimate uses for it, but I suspect most people who install it will be using it to fill the internet up with more garbage spam and stolen content.

Hopefully it doesn't become popular and those who are stupid enough to use it (for immoral/illegal purposes) are squashed like a bug by the mighty Google empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the developers aren't even covering up the reasons for creating the plugin. The following is posted on their home page:

"So what about results? Well, most of my blogs are put together with snippets of other peoples content (I'm an unabashed scraper). So I checked a few of these pages in copyscape and saw that the content was found on 84 other websites. Ooops. Installed this plugin and checked again. Zero copyscape hits. Nada. Nothing. And I didn't change a thing I simply activated the plugin and every existing post was fixed."

Copyscape may not be smart enough to detect if it is copied content or not, but Google has a fleet of engineers working around the clock to stop stuff like this from happening. Even if the plugin does trick Google right now, I doubt it will be shortly as they'll be working on detecting the use of the plugin right now I am sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it really works? Is the changed articles has any meaning? I really curious to know more about it.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    It seems the developers aren't even covering up the reasons for creating the plugin. The following is posted on their home page:

Copyscape may not be smart enough to detect if it is copied content or not, but Google has a fleet of engineers working around the clock to stop stuff like this from happening. Even if the plugin does trick Google right now, I doubt it will be shortly as they'll be working on detecting the use of the plugin right now I am sure.
    So in other words, the '"engineer" of that plug in admits to copyright theft. I'd like his url so I can report him to his web host. Then both the thief and his plug in would be gone.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do the creators of the wp-o-matic and Feedwordpress plugins also fall into that category of promoting copyright theft? I realise that there is legitimate uses for these 2 plugins, but you can guarantee that there's many sites using them for the sole purpose of building content quickly and easily. And in theory running one of these plugins alongside the Uniquifier plugin could quickly generate hundreds of unique web pages.

Also, why do Wordpress allow these plugins in their directory?

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    So do the creators of the wp-o-matic and Feedwordpress plugins also fall into that category of promoting copyright theft? I realise that there is legitimate uses for these 2 plugins, but you can guarantee that there's many sites using them for the sole purpose of building content quickly and easily. And in theory running one of these plugins alongside the Uniquifier plugin could quickly generate hundreds of unique web pages.

Also, why do Wordpress allow these plugins in their directory?
    I'm not familar with either of those two plugins, but if they do promote copyright theft, then sites that have them installed should be reported, IMO. If people can't write original content for their blogs or get is by appropriate means, then they shouldn't have a blog.

If your argument is that "other plugins do it" then my reply is "Just because someone else does it, doesn't make it alright".

I work darn hard making unique content for myself and my clients and it really burns me when someone admits to scraping like it's a big joke. Believe me, if I catch them stealing my content in any form, I will make it as difficult for them to steal it as it is for me to write it. In fact, I will do my level best to make it impossible for them to continue. There's no free ride and those who try to hitch one, should be knocked off the web.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your argument is that "other plugins do it" then my reply is "Just because someone else does it, doesn't make it alright".
    No, these 2 plugins do something entirely different. They scrape content from other sites by RSS, basically feeding your blog with posts from other sites, making it look like natural posts.

I'm not saying it's right at all, just confused why WP would list these plugins when they can do so much damage.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No, these 2 plugins do something entirely different. They scrape content from other sites by RSS, basically feeding your blog with posts from other sites, making it look like natural posts.

I'm not saying it's right at all, just confused why WP would list these plugins when they can do so much damage.

I am surprised to hear that they are listed in WordPress. I guess if I was looking for plugins and found those, I might contact WP support and ask them for an explanation.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plugins in the WP plugin repository have legitimate uses. In fact I've considered using them myself before. Having the ability to shunt posts from one blog to another via RSS is quite handy, particularly if you want to cross post from one site to another. I considered setting something like this up for a series of sports related sites a while ago. That way users could see all the latest news from various clubs all from their own clubs pages. You can avoid the duplicate content issues by applying noindex/nofollow to any of the duplicate pages.

There are also 'potential' uses for the Uniquifier plugin, but 'potential' is definitely the operative word as I doubt anyone would actually use them for anything legit.

Linda - Google "Uniquifier plugin" to find the plugins' page. I don't think you will have much luck having them removed though since they're not actually scraping anything themselves, just indirectly encouraging others to (which is illegal, but I assume harder to have a site shut down for).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    So in other words, the '"engineer" of that plug in admits to copyright theft.
    Just to clarify ... that was a user submitted review I posted above, not the plugin owners words (unless they made it up, which is probable considering they don't seem to have any morals).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Dude, just because you can think of only 1 kind of use for something doesn't mean thats the only use that thing can be put to & for that only it was made!

Linda, these two plugins were made to turn WordPress into a feed-aggregator & also for cross posting stuff. The very first implementation that I came across of Feedwordpress 3 years back was of a feed aggregator. The Hindi language blogosphere was in its infancy with a handful of blogs around, so to promote the blogs & make a central place for getting notified about every blog post published by all those blogs some guys setup a WordPress install with Feedwordpress plugin & instantly people had a single place that they can visit to check out new blog posts with a post summary shown & then when they clicked on the post title they were sent to the original blog where they were able to read the full post. It was a very good example of how this can be used. That aggregator is still there, called Narad (named after Hindu sage Narada), though it no longer uses feedwordpress since its quite taxing on server to aggregate 4500+ blogs using that.

And an example of cross posting that I can give is of my own blog. I have feedwordpress running on a blog of mine which takes in the feed of a twitter account of mine & posts my twitter updates to my blog instantly, making it kinda like a proper micro-blog with reader interaction enabled in form of comments (which Twitter lacks). Updating Twitter is easier on the go since there are lots of mobile applications available for it, so for me its easier to post to Twitter than to wordpress from my mobile but my stuff eventually gets posted to my wordpress blog as I'm using Twitter just as an in-between facilitator.

If something is being or can be used for some ill purpose then it doesn't mean that that thing is evil itself!! Take mobile phones for example; anti-social elements, terrorists etc use them that doesn't mean that mobile phones should be banned & no one should use them & their makers should be hanged!! Its how a thing is used which is good or bad, not the thing!
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_funda View Post
    Take mobile phones for example; anti-social elements, terrorists etc use them that doesn't mean that mobile phones should be banned & no one should use them & their makers should be hanged!! Its how a thing is used which is good or bad, not the thing!
    I agree with this but it can be applied to other objects too, but I won't get into that here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How i will use it . It will effect some another thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, just because you can think of only 1 kind of use for something doesn't mean thats the only use that thing can be put to & for that only it was made!
    I was explaining how they would be used when running alongside the uniquifier plugin.
    I'm aware those plugins can be used for a number of things, as I clearly said in my earlier post -

I realise that there is legitimate uses for these 2 plugins, but you can guarantee that there's many sites using them for the sole purpose of building content quickly and easily. And in theory running one of these plugins alongside the Uniquifier plugin could quickly generate hundreds of unique web pages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snip>
    Last edited by Shyflower; Oct 17, 2008 at 15:38. Reason: please report posts using the triangle, not within the threads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    --
    I have a issue with people copying content, I have recently found that Forums are copying Yahoo Answers Q/A to fill their forums and invalidly increase registrations. Worst thing is on YA I use my surname for login. Now my Name is a User everywhere!

As for this plug-in, it sucks what's wrong with reading an article with critique and writing a similar or different outcome. Its not that hard, and hardly time consuming.

I feel sorry for Wikipedia, their articles must be the most C&Pasted content online See "Mega" list.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Oct 17, 2008 at 15:38. Reason: Please report posts using the triangle. Not within the threads

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the website, it use special characters to make the contents seem unique to the search engines. This doesn't seem all that innovative, and I doubt it will take long for Google to pick up on it, if this ever gets popular.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If everyone uses that plugin, I'll be on the only one with quality content. And my quest for world domination will be complete... muahahaahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NuWeb View Post
    I feel sorry for Wikipedia, their articles must be the most C&Pasted content online See "Mega" list.
    Why? Wikipedia chose to allow others to copy their content. That is part of the reason they are so popular, it is a true open source encyclopaedia.