User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright Issues

Hi

Lets say I hire an artist online(that artist is in a far away country) to do art content like vector illustrations(eps) or manipulated images(psd) who creates it from scratch. Before paying, I lay a condition that I will own the complete rights of the artwork.
    Now, what's stopping the artist to turnaround and claim its his/her artwork and take away all rights from me? I mean, how can I be sure the artist wont claim rights to the artwork later on after selling the rights to me?

Thanks for your time guys.
    Jon

Nicking the Bevel Highway Seven's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing will stop them from doing that, but if you have a contract stating that you own the rights to the work this artist has created, and have it copyrighted, you will have legal recourse if it does happen.
    Daniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Daniel.

How does one copyright such artwork? Its international, and one country's law may or may not apply to other countries. Is there an international copyright office where one can submit such artwork and get its copyright changed like I mentioned before?

Nicking the Bevel Highway Seven's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager13 View Post
    Thanks Daniel.

How does one copyright such artwork? Its international, and one country's law may or may not apply to other countries. Is there an international copyright office where one can submit such artwork and get its copyright changed like I mentioned before?
    Here's some info you might find useful: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl100.html
    Daniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, laws are confusing
    Looks like there will always be loopholes regarding implementation of laws, especially in international matters.

Thanks Daniel.

SitePoint Enthusiast sergeo_syd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    International law loopholes are for legal cases that have a way of paying a very minimum of a million in legal fees. In this situation its is as simple as what dcfauno wrote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the ownership of the copyright in writing. Once you do that, you should generally have a better claim than the artist. Nothing is guaranteed when you are dealing with international copyrights, but getting your deal in writing should put you way ahead of the game.