SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few cross browser incompatabilities - just cant get it right

Hi, I've just run into a bit of a problem with a site I'm creating.

I have 2 issues:

1. The navigation links - Basically its just a suckerfish horizontal drop menu, but i've had to make a stylesheet for ie and ff as ie just wont play ball.

I cant make the hover on the first level extend down so that i can hover onto the second level (FF). I'm really unsure of whats happening here.

2. The apple style gallery I have on the audioguide and video guide pages.

In ie the div below the gallery sits with its top edge against the bottom of the gallery.

The gallery has a bottom margin of 10px (which works in ff, but i need a margin of 55px to achieve the same result with ie).

The site is live here

There's alot of code so I wont post any unless asked to.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks
    James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I've manged to get the nav working perfectly, and I've got it down to a single stylesheet do I'm dead pleased with that.

Its just the margin on this image gallery I cant make work.
    I know I could easily do it with a seperate stylesheet served to ie but I'm reluctant to do this, there must be another way.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems here are due to the way IE handles floats, where it won't float a second object against a first at the same vertical level if there happens to be available space above the second float, exacerbated by all the relative offset positioning (which just displays objects in a different location although the object itself is still actually in its original location).

This looks like a 3 column layout to me - if your #content div is divided into 3 floated main columns, then the items within each column will just stack naturally without any additional floating, clearing or relative offset positioning, and would be much more stable cross-browser.

BTW things are much more broken in IE6 as it does not understand the first-child selector you rely on for the menu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thats working great now, thanks alot