User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website content updates?

Hi everyone,

i'm quite a beginner in web design and hav recently been asked to design a site for a local community.

i've got the looks and everything knocked up on photoshop all ready to roll, but im stuck with a page in which she (the person managing the site) wanted her to be able to upload new contents onto without my help.

So basically i've got a layout which includes

a 'content' area' - displays an article with pictures
    and a 'navigation area' - displaying links to all the different articles that are available

i've researched web CMSs and many of them are very complicated and are often used to 'build' a corporate site and i dont haeve them time to learn programming language..

so is there any programs which will allow me to fit in updatable content into a custom site that i've built?

Thanks alot

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you've got a few options:

1. Try WordPress - reasonably easy to fit your design into WordPress templates - fairly simple for the user to update.
    2. Have a look at something like Snippetmaster which allows you to add editable areas into an existing page.
    3. If you have the skills, build a simple CMS to allow the user to add articles to that particular page.

If the site is a series of articles then it sounds like WordPress would be perfect as you can use the post and category system to arrange those articles and WordPress "pages" for the rest of the site.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress
    Joomla
    Drupal

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies!

I'll check those programs out now! just one more question, what skills would creating your own simply cms involve? im just curious, i probably wont go down that route but it mite be handy to know just in case!

thanks again!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wouldn't generally bother with building a whole CMS yourself as that's just re-inventing the wheel and there's just no point- too many other packages out there that you can use.

BUT I do build smaller versions when I need a very specific end result not possible with a full CMS or if the client just wants to update a single page - the interface would just be easier for them to learn than even WordPress.

Personally I use PHP and MySQL to do these mini-CMSs. Just building an update-able news page, for instance, isn't actually that horrific to learn. Plenty of tutorials available on updating databases.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building your own CMS would be a pain in my opinion. You will need to be offering technical support way after the fact. In a custom CMS, certain characters can break the system, as well as file sizes, etc... It is impossible to test everything that would potentially be entered by your client, so QA is an issue.

I agree with the recommendations of Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal. If you can make Wordpress work, I would take that. You can customize templates in their system to make it look "unblog" link
    Download Software - Your place to Download Software
    PPC Management - Premium SEM, PPC Management Service
    Web Design - Award Winning Website Design