SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL Error: Table doesn't exist

When I went to a couple of my sites today, that share a common database, I noticed I was getting Code errors that relate to database tables not being present.

I opened my Mysql admin tool, "HeidiSQL" and noticed that one after another of my tables where not showing up.

When I tried to create a new table, with the same name as the one that is mysteriously missing... I got the message, that I could not create the table because it already existed, then when I tried to select from the table that supposedly is already existing, I get the error the table "doesn't exist"

I fear someone has gotten hold to my database somehow and messed around in there. Could these tables possibly be hidden or the permissions changed. I dropped two tables and recreated them, based upon those earlier errors, because they were didn't have that much data in them.

30 rows of data tops, now I am seeing that my users Table, has been hidden/deleted or whatever is going on, and I am unable to reproduce these users, although there are not that many users on these sites, I simply don't have the current data, I did a backup sometime ago, but I fear I have lost the latest entries.

If there is anyone who experienced similar issues please advise on what I need to do. 1.) to retrieve data, and 2.) even if data is gone, how to prevent this in the future... thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how high of a user is the account you are using?

does it only have database access?

remember, mysql can make it so that an account can only see a single column in a table.

so yes, someone could have removed your access to certain tables.

but if you have "root" access, then it shouldnt be an issue and something else is massively wrong with your setup.
    leo d.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response...

It's definately not the root account. Spoke to the admins at the hosting company, and they restored my data from a backup.

Still not sure what happened, but I have figured to just back up my data more regularly.