SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browsers that don't support css

May I ask where I can find a list of browsers (including version details) that do not support Cascading Style Sheets? Thanks.
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Kool Girl,

Try this link
    http://www.webreview.com/browsers/browsers.shtml

It looks like webreview is defunct (it hasn't been updated since Feb.) but the chart covers browsers up to N6 and IE 5.5

Shoop

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help!!
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS is not a new technology - the standard was first written 5 years ago, so browsers that don't support it at all are few and far between. Netscape 4 has very bad CSS support but other than that pretty much everything supports it to a certain extent. As a general rule if a browser is version 4 or higher it will support CSS.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot, skunk!
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you want to grab a couple of those older browsers to see what your page'll look like in them, you might want to check out Evolt's browser archive. They really got a ton of 'em. :-)

~~Ian

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ian!!
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what I would do is: I would visit a site that gets heavy traffic daily and view their stats, then see the percentages of ppl that use what browser.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea but not many "big" sites would release their stats info. (They might only release those info to their advertisers or advertising agencies)

I already know that IE 5.X and 6 dominates the market but hey if other sites let us view their stats then it'd be cool.

Originally posted by warjockey
    what I would do is: I would visit a site that gets heavy traffic daily and view their stats, then see the percentages of ppl that use what browser.
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good up-to-date basic stats at TheCounter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with stats from thecounter.com is that they are based on visits to sites that use thecounter's free image counter. This is all well and god, but very few if any "large" and/or professionally run sites use these counters - the vase majority of them are used on amateur sites and sites on places like geocities. This means that the statistics collected are not representative of the internet as a whole, rather representative of the people who are visiting these amateur sites. I am a Mozilla user, and I visit a site with a counter.com counter once a week at the most simply because I tend to get my information from larger sites like SitePoint, slashdot and so forth. Stats from thecounter.com can be a useful indicator but remember that they are by no means a completely accurate representation of web brower demographics.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Skunk,

I've asked in a number of places re how accurate people thought TheCounter stats are, and you're the first to provide some significant info - thanks

I've been assuming their stats are pretty relevant because the claim to measure around 400 million to 500 million web visits monthly. As a general rule, the larger the sample, the more accurate the stat.

Figures I see quoted elsewhere [magazines, news sites etc] seem to agree with TheCounter's broad totals. Of course, maybe they're using TheCounter as their source too

Also - I've been unable to find another global stats source. Do you know of any? Most of the sites I knew which had free stats have closed or started charging - I wouldn't mind paying if I was happy about accuracy.