SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drupal, Joomla or anything else

Hi all,

I am pitching for a large UK website redesign, here

1) Subscription based membership, with E-Commerce integration for signing up and booking events*. Also the option to join for free, but to not have access to certain areas of the site. Once a user has registered, they have the option of submitting news and events, adding their business to the directory, posting jobs, offers to other members etc. Once these details have been submitted, an email confirmation must be sent to the main site administrator, from here, they accept or decline the submits.

*A further a note on booking, we may require the ability to assign a maximum number of participants for an event, once reached, the event will display "BOOKED UP" on the website frontend.

2) Business Directory for members, the ability to search the directory by industry, locality, name etc. The listing must include company logo, links, telephone, description etc. the usual stuff really.

We also need to be able to assign staff members to the listing. Each staff member can have their own page, but it will clearly tie in with the main company.

3) E-Newsletters: The client will need the ability to three different HTML based newsletters, sent to different groups of users. We are looking at other methods of managing this, 3rd party websites like campaign monitor do a good job of this, we are also looking into phplist, but, if there is something as powerful that can be integrated with the CMS, would be good to have that option, the main requirement is statistics on who opened the email etc.

4) Search: A comprehensive site search feature is required, this may already form part of the core CMS engine, if not, we need the site search to be able to search through all areas of the site, with detailed filtering available.

5) Banner advertising with click through statistics

6) Member poll

7) Surveys: Surveys may be quite detailed, therefore, the ability to split it into pages may be required. We also need a way to easily see statistics for submitted surveys.

The site in general will have a big community feel, once logged in, they can message other users, post member to member offers, submit news etc.

We have used Joomla in the past, test driven Drupal, just not sure which if any to use. We will be getting hired help with expertise in the CMS chosen, at this stage we are trying to decide which is the best option.

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal should certainly fit the bill but you'd need many plugins to get all the functionality so extra developent time will be needed for all that.

Also have a look at Expression Engine as it will do most of what you want out of the box.

1) Subscription based membership, with E-Commerce integration for signing up and booking events*.

EE has a full multi level membership systemn that you can tailor to your needs. Each member goup can be give whatever permissions you want to grant them ie access to certain areas of the site or the ability to post content in allocated places.

It's got a basic ecommerce/ordering system as well. With the maximum participents bit, it might be possible by using a template widget or at worst a bit of custom coding.

2) Business Directory for members, the ability to search the directory by industry, locality, name etc. The listing must include company logo, links, telephone, description etc. the usual stuff really.

All easy stuff with EE!

We also need to be able to assign staff members to the listing. Each staff member can have their own page, but it will clearly tie in with the main company.

You'd simply create member groups for your editors/authors/staff and give them permissions to do what you want them to do.

3) E-Newsletters: The client will need the ability to three different HTML based newsletters, sent to different groups of users. We are looking at other methods of managing this, 3rd party websites like campaign monitor do a good job of this, we are also looking into phplist, but, if there is something as powerful that can be integrated with the CMS, would be good to have that option, the main requirement is statistics on who opened the email etc.

EE has a generic newsletter signup/mailing module built in, it also has a nifty Campaign Monitor module whic makes integration a breeze.

4) Search: A comprehensive site search feature is required, this may already form part of the core CMS engine, if not, we need the site search to be able to search through all areas of the site, with detailed filtering available.

EE has many advanced search functions. You can create your own search forms to allows searches to be made to any section, categories, dates, authors, and so on. You can also order the results as well. Lots of possibilities!

5) Banner advertising with click through statistics

I'd suggest using a 3rd party ad script if you want all the stats.

6) Member poll

There's a ready made module for polls, plugin and go.

7) Surveys: Surveys may be quite detailed, therefore, the ability to split it into pages may be required. We also need a way to easily see statistics for submitted surveys.

Depending what you need this might be possible with existing modules, otherwise you'd need something cutsom built. You could of course integrate a 3rd party survey script.

The site in general will have a big community feel, once logged in, they can message other users, post member to member offers, submit news etc.

EE has it's own internal PM/email system if you want to let your members use it. There's also the forum addon which might be useful

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about EE, this may be the project to use it on. I've off to take a look.

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully agree with Bluedreamer. Drupal would be your choice.

A lot more benefits compare to joomla
    www.cfwebservices.com.
    Your source to open source content management systems.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Drupal fan as well. Most opinions I've read say Joomla might have an edge for those that never want to "open up the hood", but Drupal consistently has a more well-thought out architecture.

So, when you get to the point where it doesn't work out of the box, extending drupal is easier, or at least easier to find examples to follow.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would build a site with Drupal and I would use the fabulous CCK and Views modules. Am I biased? Yes and No. I personally build an equal number of Joomla sites as I do Drupal sites. I am biased in that I build sites that rely upon the strengths of the program.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal all the way, the extensions it has now and also in the future will be unmatchable.
    Get a PHP RSS Reader today, click here.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also go with Drupal but mainly because that's where my experience is. And I like it, I really do. You can do anything in it and it's simple to get started writing your own modules.

However, Bluedreamer got me a bit curious about EE. I've checked it out but only for my personal blog and I found it to be overkill for the purpose. Especially when there's awesome free/opensource solutions out there.

Maybe EE is good for this kind of project. Drupal is too. So it's probably a matter of personal preference and experience.
    Daniel Nordstrom. of. Nintera(ctive)
    -- Featured post: Part 2. Writing NI.JS JavaScript
    ----- Follow me on Twitter. Got project? Contact me.
    -------- SitePoint: Community Guidelines Be A Great Member

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to you Drupal, I think it has more scope for future development, I like the look of EE, but I think in terms of custom development, might prove to be a little more restrictive than Drupal.

Yep, loving Drupal so far.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello. i have not tried everything. but joomla has a large extensions to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal should fit your needs very well.

If you do decide to go with joomla, when you get tired of fixing your hacked and defaced site, keep drupal in mind.

Between the 2 (drupal and joomla), you should find that a lot more company websites use drupal over joomla - and there is a reason for that. But do your own research into security bulletins. From what I have seen, there have been a lot more security advisors for joomla then drupal. Any software will have security holes, its just matter of time. But the over all quality of drupal is better then joomla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a quick look at ModxCMS. I recently used it on a larger project that fits your needs and prefer modx because there are no restrictions on customizing designs.... anything can be added
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Joomla and am considering dumping it for Drupal. When I chose Joomla, I thought it was better than Drupal. Whether it is better or not is going to be widely debated, because people need different things.

Things I dislike about Joomla:

* Ugly URL structure, even with search engine friendly URLs enabled
    * Inability to run multiple websites off of one installation (Drupal has this, or so I've read)
    * Not very fast
    * Table-based layout--who does page layout using tables these days?

I'm not exactly sure Drupal has the ability to run multiple sites off of one installation without doing simlinks.

It seems like every opensource script I've looked at from SMF to phpBB to Joomla to Drupal to Wordpress has shortcomings that prevent it from being a truly great app. Or, should I say, a truly great app which fulfills my needs. One of my needs is to maintain as much efficiency as possible. That means ease of upgrading and using as little disk space as possible. Upgrading one shared codebase among three sites is preferable to upgrading three separate installations. Not even Wordpress has the ability to share the same codebase amount multiple sites.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would design a CMS (or blogging app) without the ability to run multiple sites off of one installation. It really wouldn't be that hard to do if you were building it in at the development stage.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla has plug-ins that enable multi-site support, and it's hard to label Drupal as this or Joomla as that when they are both evolving so fast. I'm just learning website basics at the moment, but am considering hanging off the leap into the CMS world for a few months until Joomla 1.6 hits the streets and the next major Drupal release is out. Drupal has severe issues with being user-unfriendly as documented by University studies. Drupal are consciously trying to address these issues.

So I could choose to memorise a clumsy interface and difficult way around and steep learning cliff for the first 4 months, or I could stick to learning the basics of web design until Drupal releases the next version and that learning cliff has turned into a nice manageable curve.

Joomla also have a security crack-team that released a patch 2 hours after a security breach was announced. Try getting Microsoft or Mac to respond that quickly! Joomla have templates that are "table-less" for most of the design layout, and SMF 2.0 has its RC1 out now which has less tables. They are trying to move these products into semantic layout. (I use these terms as a student of web-design, not a master. I think I understand them. )

Lastly, Wordpress has a plug-in for multiple sites, and is fast turning into a CMS not just a blog. These Open Source people "click" with their software and seem to fall in love with it a bit... and then it's GAME ON! I'm in the middle like a tennis fan. Ultimately the competition gives us all a better product, and we all win.