User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for blind user to maintain website

Yesterday I spoke with a potential client about website maintenance and redesign. The potential client is blind, and uses the JAWS screen reader for accessing web content. Usually I set up clients with a content management system for managing their site, but I know the CMS I use has a lot of AJAX, which would cause issues for this client.

Has anyone worked with a user who is blind that wants to manage their website? If yes, what solutions did you find that worked?
    2. Is Dreamweaver, Contribute, or both an option for my client? The client asked whether Dreamweaver could be used; I honestly don't know. My search on Google didn't provide any clues, at least not yet.
    3. Is there a CMS or other tool/application that can be used by blind users for managing a website?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redbud View Post
    Yesterday I spoke with a potential client about website maintenance and redesign. The potential client is blind, and uses the JAWS screen reader for accessing web content. Usually I set up clients with a content management system for managing their site, but I know the CMS I use has a lot of AJAX, which would cause issues for this client.

Has anyone worked with a user who is blind that wants to manage their website? If yes, what solutions did you find that worked?
    2. Is Dreamweaver, Contribute, or both an option for my client? The client asked whether Dreamweaver could be used; I honestly don't know. My search on Google didn't provide any clues, at least not yet.
    3. Is there a CMS or other tool/application that can be used by blind users for managing a website?
    I suggest setting him up with a worpress site custom to his visual needs. It's the most user friendly system and should be suitable.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick response. Have you set up a WordPress site for a blind user? I'm curious how accessible the administrative portion of WordPress is for blind users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick response. Have you set up a WordPress site for a blind user? I'm curious how accessible the administrative portion of WordPress is for blind users.
    I have a step brother that is "legally" blind and he has to have his 3 inches from the computer to see the content.

I have never set up wordpress for a blind client, but it's what I would use if it were me. Just make a few tweaks to adjust the css font sizes and colors to his liking and you should be good.

As good measure though, you should get as much info from your blind client and ask what colors he/she prefers and anything else that would be helpful.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increasing font size and changing colors are not options, the client is blind and has no partial vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increasing font size and changing colors are not options, the client is blind and has no partial vision.
    Does he have reader tools that assist him on the web?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The free reader panopreter might be useful, it reads text files such as word documents and others, best of all, it convert the reading into wave and mp3 files.