SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 sets of jQuery navigation on one page - possible, or too much?

Hi, I am setting up a website for a friend who is an artist. The site is pretty small and is split into two parts, an info section with a menu of about 3 tabs for Bio, Contact, Work - and a gallery section which will always show one image with a set of thumbnails underneath.

I am using jQuery for both sections, so that clicking on either Bio, Contact or Work doesn't refresh the page, but simply loads the relevant text content (which is pretty minimal). I am also using the jQuery Galleria slideshow script which allows you to flick through the artwork in the slideshow without reloading the page. I now need to introduce another navigation option, which is a list of collections for the artwork to go into (at the moment I just have a big list of thumbnails which haven't been organised yet).

Is it possible or advisable to try and use jQuery again to allow different collections of images to be loaded dynamically? Or is this going to become too complicated, especially with trying to manage the history/allow use of the back button etc.

Grateful for any help on this one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clicking on either Bio, Contact or Work doesn't refresh the page, but simply loads the relevant text content
    I'm assuming this degrades nicely? Also, be mindful of the fact that visitors might want to bookmark/email URLs - if the URL remains static then they've always to going to end up on the first page. Ajax pagination isn't always a good idea.

Another word of advice, use everything in moderation! From what I've heard the Galleria plugin is quite bloated. There's nothing wrong with adding even more enhancements as long as you remember to take the end-user's bandwidth limitations into consideration...
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JimmyP, thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah the jquery tabs degrade gracefully. The reason i wanted to use ajax for this is that there is only a couple of paragraphs for each of these menu options, and i didn't want the user to have to reload the page. This allows the user to be browsing through the artwork (which is the main focus of the page), and they can click on one of the tabs which quickly rolls out the relevant content.

The Galleria script is 5kb which doesn't seem too bad, although I've just noticed that my tabs script is 35kb, which seems a lot for the fairly simple functionality it's providing.

Good point re bandwidth - if i load all images at once, it may be a bit much. I think I might create new pages for each artwork collection, meaning that only a handful of images would be loaded with each page load. By doing this I can then use the history manager feature to generate accurate urls which people can bookmark.