SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dip into Great Plains Accounting Software - become a Senior Developer/Consultant

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily for me my resolutions are somewhat linked.

Normal Resolution: Get a nice part-time job doing something in IT. That way I can buy a new car and generally enjoy life a bit more.

Geeky Resolution(s): Learn and practice what I don't know, mainly:

• UML. I want to be a master modeller within a couple of months.
    • Java. I'm okay at the moment, but I want to really know the language well.
    • C. I'm okay at C, but okay just isn't good enough. I want to write a decent compiler next year, so given a lot of practice and a couple of weeks with The Dragon Book I want to be able to write my own compiler for one of my classes.
    • Haskell. Haskell is a strange language if you're not used to functional programming, and I want to dive further into the possibilities of it, including with web development.
    • C++. I'm still shocked that my university will not teach this to CS students! Nevertheless, my lack of knowledge is what's keeping me out of a top-notch summer internship at a well-known company this year, so I definitely want to brush up on my C++.
    • Data Structures and Algorithms. This is the big one for me, as my Mathematical abilities are poor (having received little-to-no formal education in it past 16). Once I've tackled Maths I then want to move onto the CLRS book and a couple of Data Structures in X Languages books and fulfil something I've wanted to know for years.
    • AI. As my CS course at university is practically half AI modules I want to get a good grasp of it. Again, that requires a good grasp of Mathematics as many of the original papers by Minsky, Llull, and co use a bit of Math.
    • The classic textbooks in CS/SE. Despite having no money I forked out £35 for Code Complete, having just finished Operating Systems by Andrew Tanenbaum and The Mythical Man-Month by Frederick Brooks Jr. By the end of next year I want to have finished ALL of the popular classics in CS/SE, to the equivalent of a good CS education.

Also, sometime in the next couple of months I may look into opening my own online business, possibly an online store or community. Business is a pet hobby of mine and having already won a local Business award (an achievement, having not actually owned my own business!) I'd like to get into it. If you have any advice or (have) run your own business feel free to PM me about it, as I can use all the advice I can get.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Lots of folks make New Years resolutions every year—to lose weight, spend less, and make more. Our January Shout Out is a two parter. First, looking back at 2008, what resolution that you made last year was successful and second, "What's Your Geeky New Year's Resolution?" In plainer English, what will you do to make your work as a web entrepreneur, programmer, designer, etc. a success in 2009?

I haven't come up with a good one yet, so I'm hoping to get some ideas from you.
    Last year my resolution was to grow my business (and I did ) and lose 20 pounds (which I didn't )
    Work harder and make more money
    And gain 20 pounds
    SetCronJob is a free cron jobs service.
    The easiest way to set cron job.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to get a netbook, and stop carrying around a heavy laptop.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thuankkk View Post
    Work harder and make more money
    And gain 20 pounds
    Believe me, if I could put 20 of mine in a box, you'd find it under your Xmas tree if you have one (if you don't have one, I'd leave it on your doorstep!)
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the end of the year I'd like to mess with Deep Packet Inspection on my FreeBSD gateway on the home network; maybe even write some packages for it.

I'd also like to have produced a fully functional XNA community game and start selling it.

Oh, and I'd also like to be completely free of web development for the public!

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Believe me, if I could put 20 of mine in a box, you'd find it under your Xmas tree if you have one (if you don't have one, I'd leave it on your doorstep!)
    Ewww. I wouldn't want to open that present
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    A long time ago I stopped making those resolutions. I rather look at things as they happen, as attention is needed.
    Me too. I do have dreams of course, and goals. But I don't make them at New Year.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new years resolutions have come earlish for me:

personal:
    - Get my personal business project off the ground and ready for deployment by new financial year
    - get my health in order
    - get my personal relationship in order

employment:
    - get into some more advanced stuff at work (cant really do much as i rely on the sales manager getting some good projects through the door)
    - look at moving up the corporate ladder a bit
    - formally introducing a new business unit that i've been working on with my manager.

geekitude:
    - learn spring (relates to personal business), hibernate and a host of other enterprise platform technologies
    - learn how to use my IDE to its full extent. Surely i could be using more features other than build and deploy.

probably more in there, but this is a good start...

W2ttsy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My resolutions are to become a PSD-to-XHTML/CSS samarai warrior. And I also want to become the boss of my digital camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Mine is the same as your was last year, grow my business. I hope I succeed that you did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't make any resolution last year so i think my resolution this year is to be more diligent so that I can accomplish the things I'm planning for myself and hope to go back to school.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

2009 game plan:

- Setup 100+ niche web site, SEO them, article back link to them, viral marketing them, most importantly PPC the profitable ones, optimize the keywords. Goal is to have them profit $6,000 per month by April.

That is 2.5 PPC campaign a week, assuming 10% of the campaign is profitable. Have 4 winner sites making $40/day each by April 31.

- Build up programming team from India or Eastern European or Philippines. Find top loyal programmers to my projects. Programming, article writing, PR release, and blogging for me, also manage my PPC campaigns.
    - Master Hexatrack Pro really well. Develop the sense of a winning campaign.
    - Become google's AdSense FedEx club member.
    - Be a top performer for several CPA networks.
    - Using the positive cash flow to buy 10 REO houses and 60 units apartment building near a major university. Purchase price has to be less than 35 cents on a dollar.
    - Setup 5 eBay affiliate stores.

Personally:
    - Practice Tony Robins Hour of Power each morning, or 15 minutes of fulfillment daily.
    - Attend T. Harv Eker's MMI event in fall.
    - Drink wheat grass juice three times a week.
    - Take mom and dad to an amazing vacation.
    - Feel grateful every day.
    - Help a family that is really in need financially, here or abroad.

<snip>
    Last edited by Shyflower; Dec 16, 2008 at 16:22. Reason: removed solicitation

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My game plan is same from 2005, it won't change till 2010!!!! Basically, I want to grow my safety net for financial needs. In order to do that I need a Master Degree. So, if I start a business..bankrupt.. then I can find another job easily w/ slightly better salary than w/ undergraduate degree. So...1 more year baby!!! then I'm gonna venture out and do my thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me.. I think my new year resolution would be... loosing weight, actually I haven't done it this year, and it was my last years resolution, hope I make it this coming year.. and also I want to be spend less money.. work hard, and uhh.. so many I got confused..

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - putting the bleeding php script online that I programmed but my reluctance to get the pics ready has halted progress

- learn kayaking

- get more keyword traffic
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my new year's resolution was to quit smoking. And I did! It's been a year now. So next year's resolution would be to never be tempted back to smoking.
    Last edited by Plumber; Dec 18, 2008 at 07:18.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueice08 View Post
    My resolution would be to work even harder at my business, difficult as I already often do 14 hour days but I shall try.
    Then you should make it "to work smarter"

I never do a list for new years resolutions (probably my resolution should be to do one). Basically, if I can stay healthy and pay off the bank while being able to pay my bills, I'll be happy (that also means no extras such as new plumbing and things like that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better Time Management.

That seems to be a biggie.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
    Last year my new year's resolution was to quick smoking. And I did! It's been a year now. So next year's resolution would be to never be tempted back to smoking.

Hmmmm "quick smoking" that's a new one. (just couldn't resist!)
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My resolutions

1. Get on varsity tennis team (I'm a senior in HS, this should b ez since i did it last year n I am second best on team..)

2. Make a website that displays all browser bugs in an easy to use interface

3. Become CSSGuru of the year for SP or just get an award at all ;(

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year:
    Double our production [achieved]
    Hire production freelancers when necessary [somewhat achieved]
    Hire bookkeeper [achieved (thank god)]
    Build new office [in progress]

This year:
    Bump up production just a little (about 10&#37
    Keep website current
    Finish new office
    Take at least one vacation in the year
    Build at least one production ROR website
    Visit mom more often
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try to increase the profits I'm getting from my online business..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to choose a New Years resolution until about 5 minutes before 2009. I did that once before and decided never to smoke another cigarette for the rest of my life. (I decided this while smoking a cigarette)

It worked, and that was 3 years ago. I'll come back with this year's resolution on Jan 1 and tell you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Most New Years resolutions fail before they even begin as most people fail to realise that the new year starts 12am 01/01/xx.

In simple terms, your New Years resolution must start on New Years eve!
    www.RoyaltyMail.comThe Hot New Buzz is Here!
    Secure your name before someone else takes it!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My priority for the coming year is : settle all old obligations and not to start to having a new one. But hard as it may sound, discipline is the key. There will be no new years resolution if we only paste the word discipline in our mind. We discipline ourselves not to do anything harmful not only to ourselves but to everybody.