SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently designing a database system for my new website and much of it is similar to the system Kevin has been showing us so far. However there is one problem: How do I make subcategories in each categories? A similar thing happens in the particular articles: How do I make 'parts' to them like SitePoint has so I can add a dropdown box for each article that links to the major parts of each article? I'm absolutely clueless on how I can achieve that! I'm 'cause I simply can't get it to work like I want it to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>How do I make subcategories in each categories?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    In order to achieve this i think the proper thing would be to look at doing a "lookup table". In the "lookup table" you would referance the major cat's with the minor cats (this would prevent you from haveing the same minor cat under a major cat). Then when you go to add items in the DB you would simply place them under the minor cat. With a bit of coding you can allow your people to search under the minor cat's or the major cats to return results.

For more info on the lookup tables check out Part 5: Relational Database Design - Many to Many Relationships
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>How do I make 'parts' to them like SitePoint has so I can add a dropdown box for each article that links to the major parts of each article? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is accomplished by using specifice codes, something similar to &lt;pagebreak&gt; in the articles. Then having PHP split the pages up etc. I think kevin goes over this in Part 6: A Content Management System

hope this gets you started in the right direction.

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of get it, but not completely. I'll try a bit more reading to see if that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is anything else we can do just let us know

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com