SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop for me, however I still use an old version of Fireworks, version 8. Why? well for some reason the Jpeg compression is amazing, the files that it produces when you batch process are far smaller in files and better quality than I can get either Fireworks or Photoshop in any of CS suites to produce... strange.

Si

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fireworks by far. Adobe is also developing it as their profiling tool.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love using fireworks.

I've tried using photoshop for layout, but found it to be alittle more stressful then fireworks.

I just got CS4 but haven't had the chance to build a full blowen prototype with it, but it's said that it has really good CSS exporting capabilities, which should be great to use when it goes to developing the actual site, but if your like me, I always perfer coding my own CSS... but I'll see how fireworks does...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fireworks CS4 is the state of the art prototyping tool. Photoshop is much more inefficient for either prototyping or creating website graphics. All the people who use Photoshop are people who have never learned to use Fireworks. There are many things that Fireworks can do, that Photoshop can't.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Fireworks almost exclusively for doing mockups. Because it's a vector graphics program, it's extremely simple to lay out the building blocks of the site, and size and position everything precisely. Typically, our graphics guy uses InDesign because his strength is page layout, but I can reproduce it almost exactly in Fireworks with minimal effort.

You can't do as many cool things manipulating the actual look with vector as with raster, but if I'm just doing a quick-and-dirty mockup anyway, I always start with vector which converts easily. Fireworks allows me to carve the site into "slices" while turning off layers (e.g. button text) and export the precise images I need, and then I can edit those in Photoshop if I need the added prettification tools contained therein.

Additional bonus: knowing the precise size, shape and position of the blocks makes it easier to calculate margins and padding for css styling.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    illustrator - wireframes & sometimes design
    photoshop - design
    axure RP - prototyping

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading these posts, maybe I should learn those tools. For me, I do my mock up screen on DreamWeaver using html/css. So using image tools is faster than DreamWeaver?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of just creating a look, my quick-and-dirty answer would be yes. Granted, you don't have to assign functionality when working on a design, but the separation of content and presentation is enough, in my mind, to make coding a mockup site a slower and more complicated process than just drawing some boxes and lines and inserting filler text. This is especially true if you have to create imagery for your site anyway, and if you're looking to break out of the box, so to speak, the various vector creation tools make basic shape manipulation very simple (another reason I like FW).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? let say you need to change the font style, font size, or even show sample drop down menus? Because so many of you guys are using image tools, I'm really curious how you guys does it now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Font tools are readily included in both PS and FW, I'm not sure I understand the question.

I would just show one menu opened and dropped, since we're just doing a mockup.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see, you're saying there's global settings for fonts and sizes? I guess for me I'm pretty efficient w/ css/html but not sure if it's worth the effort to learn to tool to create the mock up but if it can be done quicker, i'm in.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i create one menu open, one onmouseover, one link a:hover, ... it's just to show the look, give them impression of how it is supposed to be.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Ah I see, you're saying there's global settings for fonts and sizes? I guess for me I'm pretty efficient w/ css/html but not sure if it's worth the effort to learn to tool to create the mock up but if it can be done quicker, i'm in.
    I'm not savvy enough to say for certain that there are or are not, but to change for example button text, I would just select all the relevant objects and make a change to the font that would apply to all selected objects.

In the end, you just have to use the tools that are best for you. If you don't feel image software will give you a good ROI for your time, no harm, no foul, Dreamweaver is entirely adequate for savvy coders. But ultimately, all one needs is a snapshot of the site's look, and my preference for that first run is a program that will let me create shapes quickly and with precise positioning and measurements. Once that's done, the exporting is quick and easy and I can drop the images right into the second run, this time on DW. Usually once step 2 looks good, I almost have a template ready to go to make all the pages for the site.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use fireworks...... simple to use and gets the job done.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Transpyre View Post
    Oh and just to share.

1 great tool for mockups that Photoshop has is Layer Comps.

With them you can create different pages mockups easily without having to copy multiple layers or toggling layers on and off when you are saving out as images. They basically save the layer states for each version, plus you can then batch export them as individual JPGs or as a multi-page PDF presentation.

It is one of the things I require my team to use when doing mockups and it is a HUGE timesaver!
    I must admit to having failed to utilse this function of Photoshop when mocking up. Perhaps due to laziness or lack of time, but when I hear someone speak about things such as this with a huge thumbs up as you have done, it makes me sit up and reconsider. I suppose I ought to do myself a favour and pick up the habbit of using them.

--

I had heard from many people that Fireworks was much better than PS for web designing. I did try a demo, and I was impressed, but I'm going to wring all the value I can take out of PS before buying FW.. I assume the two programs should be used together for best functionality.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe photoshop

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Information Architecture / Wireframes you can use either Visio or Illustrator. Here is a great article to help you out - http://www.digital-web.com/articles/...onengine_site/ .

If you go with VISIO, check out this great stencil set: http://v1.garrettdimon.com/resources...io-omnigraffle

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the past and currently I prefer to use pencil and paper as I can be more ''Free'' with what I'm designing on the paper, it's much easier because I'm used to it and it's a lot faster for me too. I just label things here and there for things like colour and fonts and backgrounds and so on.

However, I have used Adobe Fireworks on a few occassions and found it a good tool to make a clean / dirty mockup, but it just takes me too much time for what it's worth, and it's just a mockup at the end of the day. If you're client wants to change something quickly, sketch it out on paper for them, or they can, and then sketch the whole thing out again, maybe a bit clearer and cleaner. If they like it, do a clean mock-up and decent one in Adobe Fireworks, show it them, if they're happy then get them to sign-off, if not, go back to pencil and paper to work out a solution.

Also, a bit off-topic but:

I find the only thing that is remotely useful of Adobe DreamWeaver is the file management and sitemap feature. Otherwise, it's very misleading when looking at the design side of your customer code.

I find it easier, for myself personally, to code an XHTML/CSS web page layout and faster without the graphics, just where the boxes will be positioned and so on.

I would personally use Adobe PhotoShop for web graphics though.

I would use Microsoft Office Visio for the sitemap, as in the structure and sitemap of the site to show how pages will be linked.

-AndrewCooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time I start with pen & paper, and then move to PS to put it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I must admit to having failed to utilse this function of Photoshop when mocking up.
    Your not the only one
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop for mockups, usually pencil and paper for wireframes, though I have been getting into OpenOffice Draw (especially for E-R diagrams).
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Photoshop for about 7-8 years so I use that for anythin raster based.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fireworks is best for prototyping whereas photoshop is good for making some unique effects.but i would suggest if you are a developer trying to show some prototype of your pages then go for fireworks.
    if you are a hardcore designer then i believe you can accomplish much with photoshop.

parkerproject

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have personally favored Fireworks for mockups and slicing. I don't see why one would choose Photoshop over Fireworks for this. I use photoshop primary as a image editing and complex print design but IMO lacks the ease of use for quick prototyping. Fireworks was built with web production in mind.

Here are a few things which I think makes Fireworks killer for mockups and production:

- True vector tools in a raster software makes it easy to pitch a concept. If changes are needed you can quickly resize a button, group of button, call to action box or columns (something Photoshop is weak in). Can quickly test and observe actual pixel dimension for various resolutions (something Illustrator lacks)
    - Pages, master page, and symbols make it a great time saver to reuse items across pages for client review especially for multiple page mockups.
    - Exporting slices, pages and pdf option makes it great for client review and site production. Image Ready use to be the software to turn to for export but I never liked it. Interesting that Image Ready was retired and Fireworks CS4 is still growing and growing strong. I don't have CS4 yet but I am interested in the CSS export feature. I code it all by hand now because I like the control and structure but it might be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still really like fireworks and use it often. I find it a useful part of the suite.

Im happy to see the improvements in photoshops save for web / slice tool .. but Ive always though the fireworks web layer was a little more flexible and quicker to export from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use photoshop CS3 and Adobe Plash to make a mock-up for my job. Both of it is free to download and use, very simple and convenient more than any software that I'm used to use.