I'm working on a new WordPress theme system which will feature quite a few widget areas. Typically the widget areas are labelled 'left', 'right' or maybe something more descriptive such as 'footer'. However I intend to have a lot more widget areas than most themes so need to come up some better descriptions for them.

For example, the Revolution Church theme currently only has three sidebar widgets. Because it only has three, they can be labelled as '1', '2' and '3' and it's not too hard to figure out what they do through trial and error. However if you add a whole stack of extra widget areas then the theme will become confusing to use as it would be hard to know what widget area added content to what part of your site.

So far I've come up with the following list of potential helpful areas to put widgets on a theme like the Revolution Church theme.

Top of the post list
Index top
Bottom of the post list
Index bottom
Top of a WP page
Page top
Bottom of a WP page
Page bottom
Top of a single post
Single top
Bottom of a single post
Single bottom

Top section of the right sidebar
Sidebar right (top)
Left section of the right sidebar
Sidebar right (left)
Right section of the right sidebar
Sidebar right (right)

Below each comment
Comments

plus if there was a left sidebar too ...
Top section of the left sidebar
Sidebar left (top)
Left section of the left sidebar
Sidebar left (left)
Right section of the left sidebar
Sidebar left (right)

I'm not convinced these are particularly good choices for the widget names though and I'm really keen to hear what others think would be appropriate names for these widget areas.

If you can think of any other useful widget areas I'm keen to hear about those too.

Thanks