Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm New To Web Designing and need help.

Hello people,
    OK I've bin so confused lately.I chose Web Design as a career and I'm very interested in it but I'm having trouble finding out what i should learn,what to use(tools) and what courses to take in college .I'm going to SCAD (Savannah College Of Art and Design).I know the basics of using HTML and CSS So can anyone like help me.Also would Adobe CS4 Web Premium be a good thing to use??

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CS4 is a great tool, but I wouldn't rush out an buy a copy. The best thing you can do is create a few sites of your own. The experience will be far more beneficial than anything else you can so.

Some technologies you'll want to become familiar with:
    HTML
    CSS
    Javascript
    PHP or .NET
    MySQL or SQL

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to spend a lot of money on tools - use freebie HTML editors such as Crimson Editor, PSPad or HTML-kit. I still use these. You have much more control over what you're doing - or that is to say, if you're using a WYWIWYG editor you'd have to use it in design view to ensure a good result - which means there's little point in spending the money in the first place.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First step is to learn xHTML and CSS inside out so you can hand code without the use of a WYSIWYG. Everything on the web revolves around these two things and are the foundation of everything you will do - if you don't know them you'll never get very far.

I'd say your second step would be to learn about accessibility, usability and how people use web sites. These are, at long last, becoming essential knowledge for all web designers.

Thirdly, learn some skills, such as taking ideas from "customers", coming up with some solutions for their needs, and providing an end product. This will help you with lots of key skills - communication with customers, problem solving, and working with projects.

When you've mastered the basics you can then start to diversify your skill range, say either by learning programming languages, or enhancing your graphical skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need business skills(marketing management etc).

XHTML and CSS are most important. Then I would say learn photoshop, php, servers/hosting basics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you choose to make it a career, you should learn to code by hand.
    Learn HTML, CSS, PHP, mySQL at least.
    Get java, ASP, C++, javascript after.
    Learn these language AND THEN use tools to go fast.

I see a lot of "web designer" coming to me because they did a job but there ir something that doesn't fit. And they don't why because they don't know the codes.

I do everything by hand, coding with notepad...but again, I'm not in the field either...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Thank all of you!!!

I was reading and analyzing what I was reading!!!I am knew to Web Design too! I did know HTML and CSS a few months ago, but these days I am learnng Photoshop, but wondering seeing you, guys, because are some of you or all of new involved in creating a website on your own? Don't you work as a team, i.e., some of your team members work on graphic thing and others do the HTML, CSS and PHP .... thing!

I am really confused because I do not know how I should define my path! I know I am gonna keep learning Photoshop! What else would you recommend I should do???

Thank you for reading my message and your response will be much appreciated!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BA Group View Post
    Thank all of you!!!

I was reading and analyzing what I was reading!!!I am knew to Web Design too! I did know HTML and CSS a few months ago, but these days I am learnng Photoshop, but wondering seeing you, guys, because are some of you or all of new involved in creating a website on your own? Don't you work as a team, i.e., some of your team members work on graphic thing and others do the HTML, CSS and PHP .... thing!

I am really confused because I do not know how I should define my path! I know I am gonna keep learning Photoshop! What else would you recommend I should do???

Thank you for reading my message and your response will be much appreciated!!!
    Following the advice above will help you to "define your path", whether you decide to go into aspects of web design or web development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe CS4 Web Premium would be very helpful for your projects. It' great for creating interactive websites and presentations.
    Premium website templates at most affordable prices.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should try to decide whether you are going to start heading in the design or programming direction of web design. Personaly I went with the programming first. Everyone else is right in saying to learn CSS and XHTML first because everything comes back to them. Next maybe go with php because it is open source and totaly free to use/learn. I would reccomend not getting expensive software but using free software that will color your code is very helpful for learning php. Have fun!!!

Dylan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to join a group or a company where you can see the whole website design process, from dealing with client to final product or website. There you will get an opportunity to work with designers and developers on the real project and the will help to define a future path for yourself.

Get an internship, even you don't get money for some time.

SitePoint Enthusiast bobsmithmoodeyit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn and learn hard. Working in the industry with professionals who can teach you the right way to do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the posts above. Master CSS and xHTML, then you can move on to maybe some basic PHP and MYSQL programming so you can create simple database-driven sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need is a good knowledge of html and photoshop to start. Once you get the hang of it, move on to Mysql and php.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can learn CS4 by using e-book. The video demo is also available. The CS4 is an easy tool and also flexible. Just try..

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There’s a good generic order you can learn to build websites, the below is the chart I usually give to people who want a path to learn web development...

Structure – Learn (x)HTML, and learn about semantics, web standards and accessibility.
    Style – Learn CSS and then follow through about usability, psychology of color theory, typography, design conventions and also about browser quirks and how to maintain design between them.
    Content – Learn how to write content efficiently, about search engine optimisation (SEO), basic marketing and promotion techniques – after all, this is the main thing for your website, content is everything.
    Behaviour – Learn one client side scripting language (I recommend JavaScript) and one server side scripting mark-up language (This would be PHP / ASP / ColdFusion).
    Expansion – Once you have the hang of behaviour and enhancing your designs with interactivity, you could learn how to create rich internet applications, essentially writing web software... there’s some great languages out there (Most notably Ruby and Python).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start with HTML and Css, and than JavaScript, PHP, Mysql, PHP, Perl(but know it isn't in use).
    There are many manuals, search for them and read it'll help you.
    Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah both html and css are simple. And also red color theory, it's so important for web designer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kara7 View Post
    Yeah both html and css are simple. And also red color theory, it's so important for web designer.
    which red color theory?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salahsoft View Post
    which red color theory?
    The only red color theory I am aware of is...

roses are #FF0000 violets are #0000FF all my base are belong to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    The only red color theory I am aware of is...

Thanks, however, I think this red color theory is a different one. So I am waiting for the reply.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excuse me I mean read the color theory. I miss the letter.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first step is photoshop, coreldraw, I was also learning Quarkexpress......... ,
    and then HTML, CSS, javascript, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wajur View Post
    The first step is photoshop, coreldraw, I was also learning Quarkexpress......... ,
    and then HTML, CSS, javascript, etc.
    Why would learning both Photoshop and CorelDraw be of benefit? And QuarkXPress is a desktop publisher. It is not exactly the ideal starting point for someone wanting to get into web design, perhaps if he wanted to go into print design it would be useful but not for web development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to assume your more interested in frontend design than backend and say the best thing to do is focus your efforts on improving your understanding of XHTML and CSS as well as Photoshop, take it 1 step at a time and either focus on Photoshop or XHTML/CSS 1st, don't try to learn both at the same time. AlexDawson has laid out a pretty good framework above. Content however is to me a clients responsibility, they know their company better than I do, I can help optimize it for a fee but it is an extra and not part of the actual design IMO. The one thing that is important when it comes to content as a designer is placement and producing a design which allows the client to place and produce quality content. Often times the actual attributes used (like heading tags) are a developers area when using modules in a CMS.

A huge aspect of design is listening to the customer and having a process developed that works for you. You are working to convey what they want the world to see.

On a side note Python is an awesome language, easy to learn and great for RAD.