SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 3 of 3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    scarborough
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mac users please help

    I have made the following site.

    http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk

    I have been informed that it is not working right. I understand that the person who has reported the errors uses a mac. Can you try this site out and see if anything goes wrong. I cannot understand why it works badly. It works in firefox and IE. I just wonder how reliable this criticism is. He said it was a bit all over the place. Some problem with the centering

  2. #2
    Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Countryside, Sweden
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably is. Maybe all errors are caused by the UTF-8 BOM in the beginning of file. That will throw IE into quirks mode.

    The byte-order-mark is probably made by your editor when saving the file. Check for saving with BOM in the editor config. If you used Windows Notepad choose saving as ANSI because saving as UTF-8 will add the BOM.

    Then use one of these meta tags as the first in the the head tags, not last as it does now. The second if you used Notepad.
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    Also a serious error is the noscript tag in the head. Place that in the body if you need it.

    Then the embedded style tag should have the type specified, the media is an option:
    Code:
    <style type="text/css" media="screen">
    Hope that is all you need to fix to make it work in Mac, anyway its not all over the place in PC Safari.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    scarborough
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks for that. I have a program which generates the text for a number of webpages. I did leave in the two references to the BOM. I was having terrible problems. But those seem to have been sorted out.

    I was trying to convert everything to utf-8 because thats what linux uses. But I have gone back to ansi files. Before I had some as ansi and some as utf.

    Thanks for mentioning the other problem.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •