Quote Originally Posted by arihantjain View Post
    dreamweaver is the BEST
    Aye be careful with your words. They can start a flame war

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver in code-view with automated coding turned off.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML-Kit

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    coda all the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use smultron (mac only)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Sounds like someone from Transformers..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML-Kit

I like the built in ftp too.

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    I switch between vi and gEdit (Gnome's default editor). Both have more functionality than I even use. I keep ditching vi when working with browsers because switching from terminal to GUI for testing sucked (I could have dl'd gVim but oh well, I didn't), but for perl I'm doing it all in vi (vim).<snip>
    You're running Vi in a console? Why not in an Xterm? Then, it's simply alt-tab like any other X application. Or, [dramatic pause] you could upgrade to Emacs.

cheers,

gary

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to SP Gary,

You don't need to alt tab to minimize an X Application. If you use Windows then just hitting the Windows key minimizes. Little known fact there...In fact I just learned that alt tab works about 2 months ago.

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary.turner View Post
    You're running Vi in a console? Why not in an Xterm? Then, it's simply alt-tab like any other X application. Or, [dramatic pause] you could upgrade to Emacs.

cheers,

gary
    YES! Jamesiscus and now you ( as well as my return )! Sitepoint is becoming much stronger, Diablo's minions weaken.

Hm, it's pretty handy to have in a console, though for straight up text editing, I don't see how emacs is an upgrade. I know it has dozens and dozens of plugins and useful utilities for programming and it's built/for Lisp ( well, it's built to handle anything really.. its like a damn OS ), but still...
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antirem View Post
    I have used smultron a while back for the Mac. Have you run into any problems thus far?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some problems

1. Adding a close curly bracket auto de-indents, but it also sometimes deletes the next carriage return. Often this means that the next line ends up on the same line as the close curly.
    2. Auto-completion of typed text sounds cool, but is for all practical purposes worthless for programming. It changes the case of what you’re typing even if you don’t choose any of the auto-complete guesses.

From here

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JsD2K View Post
    Welcome to SP Gary,
    Thanks. I had joined a few years ago, but didn't spend much time here. Now, I can't remember my old user name, so started over.

You don't need to alt tab to minimize an X Application. If you use Windows then just hitting the Windows key minimizes.
    Am unable to replicate your windows key trick. I am not minimizing, anyway. I tile the various apps on the desktop and use alt-tab to rotate through them. I never ever run maximized.

Little known fact there...In fact I just learned that alt tab works about 2 months ago.
    Wow! That's basic. Have you been using the mouse and clicking on the task bar? Every time you lift your hands from the keyboard, you harm productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScratch View Post
    <snip>

Hm, it's pretty handy to have in a console,
    If you're not running X-window for some reason (e.g. it's a server or you're doing some serious admin thingies), ok. Otherwise, run in a terminal emulator like xterm.

though for straight up text editing, I don't see how emacs is an upgrade. I know it has dozens and dozens of plugins and useful utilities for programming and it's built/for Lisp ( well, it's built to handle anything really.. its like a damn OS ), but still...
    That was just a small prodding in the Great Editor Religious War between Vi users and the more highly evolved Emacs users.

cheers,

gary

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I just always used the windows key to minimize. If it froze I would Ctrl + alt + delete. And i am talking about applications that take up the whole screen, like an online game. I doubt 2 seconds worth of clicking can harm productivity.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You're running Vi in a console? Why not in an Xterm?
    Dunno, when I started with Mandrake I first started using the console for certain things and the Xwindows for other things... and now they're ingrained stupid habits.

I mean, I point and click to open files in my text editor and to copy music from a disc (Sound Juicer), but I go into the terminal to move, copy, or delete files and folders. Which is kinda dumb. Oh well.

When I first realised switching between console and x for HTML wasn't working I did try it in the fake terminal but it just wasn't as handy as gEdit. With Perl I don't need to ever go to X so it didn't matter.

Re Emacs seriously I'm trying to learn Perl and Javascript and while Lisp sounds pretty cool I'm seriously not going to learn what's practically an OS just for text editing. I duzzn need teh kitchen sinks, do I look like a power user?
    Incidentally I do keep everything maximised. My monitor is 17" wide. I'm using every pixel of it (except when using Gimp, I never maximise that image window).

Only reason to pick one side of the Great Flame War Between the Kitchen Sinkers and Those Who Wanted A Text Editor is because you pick one and get comfortable with it, and don't feel like starting over to learn another one (esp when both have bazillions of features you never touch). If Emacs would vaccum and do my dishes though I'd consider it. I suppose that can't be too far away now : )

Oh and my choice is better, just because : )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notepad++

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML Kit for me. Some of the plugin's are really handy.