SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast David Coveney's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP .NET CMS vs PHP CMS

As the Open Source Community far out weighs Microsoft’s technology and the costs associated with Microsoft’s licensing fees does anyone prefer ASP to PHP?

I'm predicting that most people will like PHP CMS systems such as Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla?

There are open source ASP CMS' such as Umbraco, n2cms and Kentico?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess i'm biased because I have never actually tried an ASP driven CMS. But I've never had a problem finding what I need in a PHP CMS, so I have no desire to switch.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    asp .net CMS could be easily developed without any licensing issues, most hostings would take care of it. but I personally think php cms is more stable, matured.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue of most open source product is the stability, so if you need stable and free of cost cms the workaround is to choose some free edition of commercial software. David already mentioned Kentico, but there must be more of them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kentico isn't an open source cms. It can be quite expensive when you buy the source code! But, it's not too bad for an asp cms. Alot better then DNN (my opinion).

Personally, I prefer to use php based cms's. Alot easier to modify and make it do what you want it to.

Brett

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of companies that use Microsoft solutions internally, so they lean towards ASP.net for web applications. Their servers already run Windows and IIS, so that's a natural fit for them.

For the vast majority though, LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) is the norm, and thus PHP/MySQL content management systems are everywhere.

I think there are probably some really good .NET CMSs out there, but I think they're the minority.

We don't develop MS at all... only LAMP (and we have 5 dedicated servers all Linux).