SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website layout/Positioning/Looks

Hey All,

The title of this post probably doesn't make sense to what i actually need to do, sorry.

I'm creating my first real website to go live, i don't bits here and there but its not looking terribly good.

When people make sites that look good using cut up images and they then place them using CSS how exactly is that done. For example..
    w w w. wow-europe . com
    Obviously mine will not be even close to as complex as that, but its like they have one big image, then cut it up into smaller sectors, is that hows its done? I dont know if there is some tutorial on the net for it as i dont know what to search for exactly but if sitepoint has a book that includes this, please could you advise.

Really appreciate any help given.

Kind Regards

/Steve

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Sitepoint book would be a good place to start.

That wow site doesn't chop up the images (on the entry page anyway) - it is one big background graphic and the various html elements are placed over it in the appropriate positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i couldn't find a decent one which does it. This one: ? toxic-wow. net/

I have that sitepoint book and i've done it, what would be the next one to follow?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that site is a good example of the wrong way to slice and reconstruct graphics - it looks like an attempt to move away from a table-based layout (still one in there, though) but still with a table-layout methodology.

Usually a graphic design is built up with many layers in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, and the trick is in extracting the appropriate graphics to apply to the various html elements, rather than flattening and slicing. You are probably looking for something that goes reasonably in-depth with this - I am not sure whether this book qualifies or not. Most of the processes I use I have developed over time by experimenting and analysing other's work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

I've just ordered the book hopefully that should help. Appreciate your responses.

If anyone else has some useful tips they can share, that would be great.

Thanks again Centauri.

/Steve

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are too many articles available on net. You can find them by searching web tutorials, photoshope tutorials etc.