SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explanatory description of "pixel fonts" compared to "regular fonts", anyone?

Client wanted some text added to a few pictures. Due lack of space, I used pixel fonts. He's now asking why the characters look so "square" and asking for "rounder" ones.

I could perhaps spend an hour creating a tutorial for him, with images of enlarged letters, etc. But I'm not sure I wold be able to do it correctly and in a pedagogic way.

Have searched, but obviously, my term "pixel fonts" doesn't play well... Anyone knows a page I can direct him to?

TIA

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to turn upon wikipedia for that kind of subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_font#Font_types

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe by regular fonts, he means fonts like Times New Roman, Arial perhaps. Maybe you could make a new graphic showing off two or three text samples, and see if he likes any of them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripy View Post
    I like to turn upon wikipedia for that kind of subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_font#Font_types
    Thanks. That was one of the first pages I checked. Regretfully, it didn't offer what I'm after.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xRustySpoon View Post
    Maybe by regular fonts, he means fonts like Times New Roman, Arial perhaps. Maybe you could make a new graphic showing off two or three text samples, and see if he likes any of them.
    Yes and no. By "regular" fonts I meant True Type, PostScript, etc, i.e. fonts that renders with some degree of translucency at edges etc. which "pixel fonts" don't.

But sure, Times, Arial and others comes as True Type and PostScript and not as pixel fonts....