User Tag List

Thread: Top Bars

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Bars

Whats the consensus on top bars like at New York Times .com? I kind of like this and think it's a good way to get some information across to the user. Any recommended techniques? Would you suggest using something like this? Are there problems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very general question. There are no rules as to wether certain bars or panels in locations are good for websites, it depends on the overall website design and content. If you think a bar at the top would fit in your design well and you have suitable information for that location in the layout then put it there. Write your content, do some data mapping, and wireframes and you will have your answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we use Top bar if we have more then one site or subdomain inter connencting with each other or you can say one user get rigester on all the other website as well ...

Like at internet .com they have a network of web sites and you have to register at only one to work on oters as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there's any problems with using a top bar like on www.nytimes.com, as long as it serves some purpose.
    Chris Reynolds
    Crey Design
    Arizona Web Design
    Personal Blog

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I hate that NYT top bar. I would like to know how to do it, just for the knowledge, but I'd also absolutely love to be able to turn it off when I'm on their site.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint have produced code for a bottom bar - you see it sometimes mentioning products for sale, it sticks to the bottom of the screen when you scroll. View that code, and make it stick to the top...
    Can't remember what name they gave this feature, but someone else probably will - some sort of bottom-feeder fish name.
    And it has a close feature, in the adverts at least.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest difference between the NYT and SitePoint bars, besides bottom vs. top, is that SP gives you the option of making it go away. Not so on NYT.