User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

resource request - Internet Explorer and web standards

Hello everyone,

I have a client that is unhappy with me for no other reason than they talked to someone who has spoken badly about me. While the information I received on this matter is completely baseless I am now in a predicament in which any "excuse" as to why something either cannot be done or must be done differently for Internet Explorer is, in their opinion, a check mark against me as either being lazy or inept.

While I carry on convinced that over time their opinion will change I was hoping someone could point me to a reference article of any kind that explains in simple non technical terms terms why something works in one browser and doesn't in another.

I try to explain to them in a way I think they will understand but having no knowledge of markup themselves it comes off as an excuse. I would like to show them the next time it comes up that it is not in fact a problem for only myself but the entire industry.

Thank you in advance.
    Great spirits have always
    encountered violent opposition
    from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check my link below "But it works in IE!". ArsTechnica and positioniseverything.net have articles, some technical, some not so much. There are hundreds of articles on the 'net. So many I can't put my finger on just one good one.

Look here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is, why are you having to justify yourself?

The only problems you should be having with IE are with IE6, which is what, eight years old now? If your client doesn't understand that not all modern things can be done in an eight year old browser...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe me, I know I shouldn't have to explain myself, I have half a mind to drop IE6 support completely from time to time. But the client doesn't want excuses. They want it to work.

Their problem is, even though I tell them that the site is not completed yet, and is on a development server, that when viewed in IE6 (at home) the page has display errors. Then they go to work and it displays the way it should on IE7 they can't fathom why an 8 year old browser can't do what a newer one can.

Perhaps the whole conversation was fueled by someone who for one reason or another was not happy with my work or a competitor just trying to get the job for him or herself. But during that conversation, whoever it was made the impression on them that I was not good at my job. Which quite frankly upset me quite a bit.

I have decided to just ignore the issue because it was given to me second hand. But if they should bring it up in our upcoming meeting I wanted to prove two things:

a. I have proof about what I am talking about.
    b. I am not the only one with the problem.

Thanks again for the input and the links. Maybe I' just being a little over sensitive.
    Great spirits have always
    encountered violent opposition
    from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The real question should be "why are they using a browser that is known to contain over 600 security holes on their home computer?". Some businesses with an intranet reliant on the way IE6 works have an excuse for still using it and they probably have other security measures in place to sort out most of those security holes. IE6 running on a home system is just an invite for all the viruses, trojans, and spyware to take up residence.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">