User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Version Control System

Hello All,

I am looking for recommendations on a version control system. We do web programming and version control is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. We have people working in several locations so a DVCS would definitely be preferable as well as one that will run in the Windows environment.

Now comes the hard part... we're looking for something that won't require a lot of upkeep on the programmer's part. Ideally, when someone went to open a file it would automatically be checked out to them, the VCS would recognize a change upon saving the file and automatically catalog those changes in the file's history... then the manager could look at a list of all changes and decide what to commit and add notes later.

We're using subversion and we're starting to feel that having to manually check out files to a separate directory, update them, send it all back to the VCS, and then do commits is just taking too much time.

I've been looking around, but I still haven't come across anything that really meets these requirements and can be used in a large scale environment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? You're serious? I mean, it's bad enough you say you can't find one but you want it to wipe your rear end, too?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your development environment? What IDE or software are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by MikesHub.com View Post
    We're using subversion and we're starting to feel that having to manually check out files to a separate directory, update them, send it all back to the VCS, and then do commits is just taking too much time.
    That is hard and takes a lot of time? Errrm...well okay...have you looked into something like TortoiseSVN? It adds SVN commands to the context menu of Windows Explorer.

I think you need to clarify why SVN is not working for your team, because I just cannot see having to hit a commit button that hard of a task that takes more then a second of your time.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our development environment, we are running a set of two Windows 2003 Standard servers that are Network Load Balanced with ColdFusion/IIS as the web server. The time it takes to update locally checked out copies of files to the central server, and then sync the two central servers (since each of them needs the latest files) takes way too long in my opinion.

We are basically looking for a solution that will decrease the time to do all of the repetitious actions as well as help the development team change gears as little as possible.