SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In need of design ideas

Hi, I'm struggling to come up with a branding idea for a website I'm working on, I'm trying to create an effective way of visually representing a state of mind.

Lean Thinking
    ... is a strategy or system for remaining competitive through identifying and eliminating wasteful steps in products, services, or processes.
    I'm just wondering how other designers would approach this. Any ideas are absolutely welcome.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I would identify what a mind is. A mind means literally storing information, processing information, thinking by creating connections and applying logic to come to conclusions, the end result being knowledge.

So I would think of the brain as symbol first, not a literal shape of the brain, but a representation in a simplified version. It could be two shapes overlapping, two sides of the brain. Both have a different color, creating a third color where they overlay each other. That will create already a symbol of a complex expression you are seeking.

To this I would add a stream of some kind in black and white snippets of shapes that flow into the "brain". The black and white implying clarity of thought and efficiency.

With those ideas I would sit down and start sketching rough shapes and lines, always keeping in my mind what I need to express. In the end it might be something totally different, but that would be my start.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    First I would identify what a mind is. A mind means literally storing information, processing information, thinking by creating connections and applying logic to come to conclusions, the end result being knowledge.

So I would think of the brain as symbol first, not a literal shape of the brain, but a representation in a simplified version. It could be two shapes overlapping, two sides of the brain. Both have a different color, creating a third color where they overlay each other. That will create already a symbol of a complex expression you are seeking.

To this I would add a stream of some kind in black and white snippets of shapes that flow into the "brain". The black and white implying clarity of thought and efficiency.

With those ideas I would sit down and start sketching rough shapes and lines, always keeping in my mind what I need to express. In the end it might be something totally different, but that would be my start.
    Actually, that was somewhat inspirational

I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then i'll start with web 2.0 style...

finding as much as free stock photos about young professional, and also some great buildings.

buying a vista icons, or may be mac style icon

then start design...
    Hire me for $10/day!!! PM for details

My Portofolio | I Setup Wordpress with SEO plugins for $5

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can join one week fine art classes, It can help you.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lean thinking? Don't get me started!

For one, it would be extremely difficult to represent this in design terms other than a strict grid layout and good typographical set-up. Colour would be defined by light colours, to my mind, as Lean thinking philosophy is about professionalism and expert management of resources.

I would avoid graphics and stock photography for that reason, because the thinking behind 'Lean' business is about the process and not about much else. Keep it simple and elegant would be my only advice, and let the content speak for itself (through good typography of course )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your quote, I gather your site is something about productivity and "inner zen" in the workplace?
    Imagery suitable for this would be something tranquil and calm but strong willed and also determined. Maybe like a shape(eg circle) being calm and deflecting an army of other messy bent out shapes flying around it in chaos.
    Or a photo of a person in a decent appropriate pose.

I think you should make your site design minimal and ambient(representing clarity and proffessionalism) and have symbolic imagery placed around the content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of the site should match what the company is. Since this is eliminateing wasteful product, i will prefer light green so it means ECO friendly then put some recycle icon add some photos.

Nicking the Bevel Highway Seven's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on what Lean Thinking is about, here's what comes to mind:

Efficient, orderly, smooth. Visually I imagine a light and airy color scheme (one or 2 main colours at most), plenty of white space, web 2.0 style as someone mentioned earlier. Non-flashy graphics. Sophisticated fonts. Elegance + simplicity.
    Daniel