SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question PHP Research Question

Moderators please feel free to move this to another section if you feel this is in the wrong place.

I'm not new to PHP and have been using it since PHP3. Recently I've been wanting to get more into the Object-Oriented way of writing PHP code rather than the procedural way I'm use to. With that being said I wouldn't say I'm an advanced user of PHP or a new user. I'm some where in between Beginner and Intermediate. Could anyone suggest some books that you find to be really good at teaching how to write PHP from an object oriented stand point. I wouldn't even be apposed to a book that starts from a stand point of not knowing anything about PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Sitepoint's PHP Anthology by Harry Fuecks

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is just object oriented concepts that you want to learn and not PHP then you can try http://astore.amazon.com/cakesoftwar...ail/0672326116
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers,
    Ruby on Rails programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranial-bore View Post
    I like Sitepoint's PHP Anthology by Harry Fuecks
    I'll check it out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisranjana View Post
    If it is just object oriented concepts that you want to learn and not PHP then you can try http://astore.amazon.com/cakesoftwar...ail/0672326116
    I'll check this book out as well, however; I would really like books that teach OOP with PHP examples.

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although it's Java orientated, it's easily translated into PHP; take a look at Head First - Design Patterns, I really enjoyed the read and it made me analyze my OO approach.
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you not used any other OO language before? If you have, then I don't think you need a book to teach you PHP OO, it would be fairly simple to read a few online tutorials and then transfer what you already know. If you're knew to OO though, a book may be more beneficial to you.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Possibility View Post
    Have you not used any other OO language before? If you have, then I don't think you need a book to teach you PHP OO, it would be fairly simple to read a few online tutorials and then transfer what you already know. If you're knew to OO though, a book may be more beneficial to you.
    I'm some what new to Object Oriented languages. About 6 years ago I had taken a class or two in Java but that knowledge has totally slipped my mind. I'm sure any book would refresh my memory on how to do OOP it's just a matter of finding that one book that suits me best, which is why I'm taking all the suggestions I can get. I know I can pick up any book that talks about the principles of OOP and I'd understand the concepts behind it, but my learning style is more on a see and do level, which is why I'd like to find some books that have PHP examples rather than Java or other languages to help bridge that gap.