SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to start with Wordpress

I wonder if you can point me to any articles that would help me get started with Wordpress. My client wants a really simple to use CMS for reviewing books. The site is very straightforward (I could easily build the thing in html and css - simple stuff only ) and it occurs to me that WordPress could work really well.

The site will have a basic home page, about us and contact section. Then a left hand nav with 15 book categories. Then each category will have a few book reviews. Probably also have a section for downloading sample chapters,pdfs, as well .

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could easily do this with Wordpress. I suggest downloading a copy to your local machine and playing around with it while you read through some tutorials. You shouldn't really have to change anything in WP to make this work. Take it for a spin and you'll see what I mean.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks - can you provide me a link to such a tutorial as can't seem to find them on wordpress.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first got started with WordPress, I subcontracted the actual software installation. This was for a website that I was building for a client.

Then I decided to try it myself, and guess what? That Famous 5-Minute Install took me close to 45 minutes. (I had to stop and read the instructions several times.) But, in the end, I was successful. And my blog was up and running (with the WordPress Cutline 3 theme).

Takeaway lesson so far: If you're doing WordPress installations for client projects, it's best to subcontract until you know what you're doing. Try doing your first install on a personal project like your blog. And expect things to take much longer than that legendary five minutes.

Now I've moved on to creating my own designs and having them converted to WordPress-compatible themes. (I subcontract the conversion work to various programmers I know.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me again. If you're looking for instruction on how to do things with WordPress, go to the WordPress Codex. It's not what I'd call light reading, but it's very well put together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    thanks - can you provide me a link to such a tutorial as can't seem to find them on wordpress.com
    Depends on what you're looking to do. Like I said, what you described can be done right out of the box, basic features. Shouldn't need any tutorials to do that...just add categories and pages.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your current understanding of scripts, databases, administration, etc. Wordpress is probably one of the most straight forward installations, but the design, if you will be developing your own design that is, is a differnt beast. A presentable and professional template would take some time to develop given your current familiarity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you trying to design a blog or a website using WP?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of great extensions in Wordpress that can help you. If you wish not make it not look like an actual blog, you can edit the index template. I would recommend choose the template in Wordpress themes that best matches the design you are looking for first.
    Download Software - Your place to Download Software
    PPC Management - Premium SEM, PPC Management Service
    Web Design - Award Winning Website Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Codex is very helpful, but because it's so dense with information, bookmark or print pages you'll want to come back to. After a while, with some help from Wiki or Google, you will be able to understand what the technical terms mean, etc. and it will start to make more sense once you get started.

I would say start out by picking a theme, maybe a free one in your case. And then get to posting your different pages. But try to have all your content proofed before posting it -- you don't want to get ahead of yourself and have to go back to edit later.

Not sure if your client wants a wordpress-hosted site, because at Wordpress"dot"com they offer free accounts -- it would be faster and later on you could transfer it on to a self-hosted one.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Sky, I just spent the last 2 days getting my head round how to use wordpress as a CMS. I spent a day reading the codex pages then a day messing around with a template. I think its really just a case of getting your hands dirty and playing around with the code!

I downloaded this CMS them and just set about taking the bits of code I needed and reworking the template.

I think the codex and maybe doing a wee bit of php background from w3schools should cover the basics of what you need to know and the forums seem quite busy!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creating the Wordpress theme is the hard part. The easy way is to modify an existing one, but if you are up for the challenge of creating a new theme this link should help.
    Color Yourself Pink at Pink Boutique!
    I have a love of pink and my site sells pink accessories.
    We have cute pink purses, pink jewelry, pink watches,
    and some pretty cool pink stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if you can find a free theme that suits your needs, great. But it might also be worth it to buy a functional and modifiable theme, if you don't have enough time right now to get up to speed with design. Design is always something you can improve upon later anyway, it's a gradual process.