SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fireworks vs Photoshop which way

I have just started learning photoshop cs3 and wondering if photoshop can do all the things that fireworks does.I had some difficult time in finding assets,command libraries where I can put text boxes,combo boxes logos.Do they exist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop and Fireworks do share some similarities but not all. FW is strictly for interface design, PS leans more towards image manipulation. That's where the differences lie. I'm more of a FW user, so I've never looked for some of the things you mention in PS. However, I do know that you can set text in PS, look at the toolbar. It's just handled differently in PS. don't know about assets, but in PS, command libraries are called "Actions".

Really, you can do the same thing in both apps. I think it comes down to which one you're most productive and comfortable in. I like FW for interface graphic work, PS for editing/creating graphic images.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I started learning Photoshop is I heard the Photoshop is the mother of all design apps.meaning Photoshop can do everything that those apps do and much more.after watching a video tutorial I found it so easy to use FW.

I will use Photoshop or FW for 2 things mainly.
    Creating logos and web design.

which one to choose i am confused.thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have to choose 1? both are good to have in your tool set.

if you have to choose 1, i think a lot of it depends on what your primary usage is going to be. if it's strictly web design, in my opinion, FW is the better choice. i find it a bit easier to work with for that since it's vector based. it's easier to manipulate shapes when in vector.

on the flip side of that, if you're more of a graphic designer, PS might be the better choice. FW blows when editing large photo images.

as for logo design, i wouldn't use either. i'm more inclined to use Illustrator (or similar drawing app) to develop logos in.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hayem View Post

I will use Photoshop or FW for 2 things mainly.
    Creating logos and web design.
    If I had to pick for you (and I'm not, just offering my own opinion) I would choose Photoshop. Ok, creating UI designs and Logos isn't as easy in PS as it can be in the others, but with PS you have all the key tools to get what you want done. Start there, and graduate to the others when the time is right

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks bbolte you are giving me great ideas.you are right why choose one
    I was not aware of Illustrater I have to investigate.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    If I had to pick for you (and I'm not, just offering my own opinion) I would choose Photoshop. Ok, creating UI designs and Logos isn't as easy in PS as it can be in the others, but with PS you have all the key tools to get what you want done. Start there, and graduate to the others when the time is right
    is there a good tutorial where it shows how to start web design with PS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    If I had to pick for you (and I'm not, just offering my own opinion) I would choose Photoshop.
    yeah, i thought about that. i might go that way also if i had to just choose one. but FW is such a great tool for UI design, that it's hard for me to go there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean, Bill.. I was given a demonstration of FW and I wanted it so badly I just couldn't justify the purchase however, since while it would have been easier to design on it I knew that I could get away with using Ps for a while longer.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make use of both of them regularly. The basic layout and design I do in Fireworks. Then I chop it up and create the final images in Photoshop, then bring them back into Fireworks to put together the final layout, which I then chop up into the final pieces. From there I code the site.

armchaircritic, if you do a lot of web design work I think you can easily justify it's cost once you get used to it. Not only is it super useful in putting together the layout, it also really shines as providing an excellent reference for pixel-perfect layouts since you can find exact coordinates and sizing, allowing you to easily calculate widths and such.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't live without my Fireworks, I've been using it for years in combination with Dreamweaver for coding of the websites :-)
    I also have Photoshop, but the only thing i can do with it is open it, and then shut it down again because it is so unintuitive for me, works completely differently to FWs.
    Photoshop is excellent for print work, Fws is not, however, FWs is much better for webwork and especially optimising of images for the web.

Tutorials for Fireworks can be found here
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/

Here's an article on creating a Fireworks comp and then taking it into Dreamweaver, but you can ignore the last section, just concentrate on the creation of the interface.. it will get you used to the various tools etc.,

And of course, don't forget there are plenty of tutorials at the Adobe site for Photoshop as well :-)

Nadia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    armchaircritic, if you do a lot of web design work I think you can easily justify it's cost once you get used to it. Not only is it super useful in putting together the layout, it also really shines as providing an excellent reference for pixel-perfect layouts since you can find exact coordinates and sizing, allowing you to easily calculate widths and such.

oh no! Just that convincing argument was all it took to have me browsing sites for 30minutes!

You shouldn't convince me that easily!