SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I already installed mysql and php in my Win98. I didn't found a *free* webserver so that I could test the .php file that I created in Part 1. So I created here and executed but did't worked. I would like U guys tell me wich server could I download and install here in my PC so that I could test my php files.

Is Xitame, Apache and ColdFusion servers? Could U explain to me what are they for?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Well I already installed mysql and php in my Win98. I didn't found a *free* webserver so that I could test the .php file that I created in Part 1. So I created here and executed but did't worked. I would like U guys tell me wich server could I download and install here in my PC so that I could test my php files.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Web server I recommend for running PHP under Windows 9x is Sambar Server. It's free, it's way more powerful than Microsoft Personal Web Server (PWS), and it is MUCH easier to install PHP on.

Instructions for installing Sambar and PHP are provided in another of my forum posts here. Check it out and let me know if you have any further trouble.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Is Xitame, Apache and ColdFusion servers? Could U explain to me what are they for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are all Web servers of various types. In general, they are all designed to run on a computer so that when a Web browser connects to that computer and requests a Web page, the Web server software sends the requested page to the browser. Different Web server programs have different capabilities -- usually with prices to match.

Sambar Server is the best free Web server I know of for Windows. Give it a try -- I think you'll find it fairly easy to set up.

Once you have Web server software running on your computer, the next step is to install PHP as a plug-in on that Web server. This allows the Web server software to process a PHP Web page before sending it to browsers that request it. Without PHP installed on your Web server as a plug-in, all you'll get is a Web page containing the PHP code -- which Web browsers don't know how to display.

I hope this goes some of the way towards answering your questions. Once again, check out my previous post on installing Sambar and PHP and post back to let us know how you go! :-)

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love U man thksssss

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used Sambar, but i haven't had any problems installing PHP on Personal Web Server. Actually it was much easier than i expected, just following the steps in the php info file .......